Shakespeare skp 2000

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by countrycat15, May 4, 2006.

1. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    hey guys i have recintly switched to all baitcasters for catfish and was lookin into buyin a new one. im kinda on a bugdet so i was lookin at a shakespeare skp 2000,so i was wondering if any of u guys have used this reel please tell me if this would be a good reel to buy and how it does on catfish.thanks.

2. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    the are decent for the money. and hold up decent as well

3. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I have one of these, and they are fairly nice reels for the money. I wouldnt trust them with anything too big, but they make excellent channel cat and bullhead reels. The clicker isn't very loud, but it is easy to pull line out of it, so thats a plus for the smaller cats. It doesnt make a good bass fishing reel though, since its not one that can be cast out a lot without backlash. On a 1 to 10 scale, I would give this reel a 7. Good for the money, and great for its purpose, but the range of things you can do with it is kind of limited.

4. ohiohawghunter45067

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    you may wanna adjust your brake on yours. cause the skp2000 i had could throw a country mile. now if u can get a skp4000s i beleive it is the hold a lil more line than the 2000 and they are 2 ball bearing.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have friends who have used those reels, and they have not held up long at all.

6. ohiohawghunter45067

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    the old ones held up decent if it was the 2 ball bearing but the new models are pretty tough.

7. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I got one you can have for parts! As in most inexpensive baitcasters, the level wind is first to go. That level wind can cost you a nice fish! I took the level wind out and it worked ok, but just didnt do it for me! Considering what you can get for another 20 bucks or so, I'd say stay away from the sk2000

8. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    well i will save you the money i have used them on my guide service and they will not hold fish over 15 lbs the gears aren't made for that thay are more of a bass bait reel the catfish just eat them gears up.

9. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    thanks for all yalls posts guys.i thank im just gonna get a tidewater.

10. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    They are decent for the money as stated but since a Tidewater is only like $40 I would get one of those, and the Tidewaters that I have are very tough and I've had them for a long time.

11. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    I have 3 on my chum fishing rods.............I won't spend the money again. The brake is almost impossible to get set for backlash free casting and the drag on mine have to be tightened down all the way if you want to stop a 5# from taking line. Like several have already posted, save your cash for a quality reel.

12. ohiohawghunter45067

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    if u are using these for channel cat reels you cant go wrong with them. but what you should do is pick one up at your local walmart. and give it a try for yourself. only your honest decision on the reel will dictate if you like it or not and if it will meet your standards of fishing....

13. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    i got 2 refurbished ones,they put on better gears etc. for them,i cought a 45lb flatty on 1 did great,hey i can get u 1 for 20 shipped if u need it.

14. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    landed 4 channels and a bullhead on one lastnite, as charlie said
    it stripps out line on a cat over 5 lbs with the drag titened all the way down.
    its a used reel though and could be needs new parts?
    it did cast real well and its liteweight .
    i will use it for smaller fishing water and use my abus for large lakes and rivers.
    its a shame it aint as good as an abu cause its alot cheaper and lighter.
    if nothing else use it for bait and backyard practice.:lol:
    ill use mine till it falls apart

15. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i would have to vote no dont do it! its deffinatly not for a beginer. not cast friendly at all. yes i have one collecting dust in the garage.

16. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Actually, over the past couple days mine has started to do the same thing with the drag. In retrospect, get a smaller tidewater (T15) if you really want a channel cat reel. The SKP is kind of junk.

17. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have 2 of those reels and they are pure junk. Their clickers got stuck to where they click when I cast and the drags are practically worthless.