Shakespeare fishing rod/reel combo

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by A.Williams, Jul 24, 2006.

1. A.Williams

A.Williams New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Whats the opinon on the shakspere rod/reel combo, the cats in the lake i fish range from small juvenilles to 50-80 pounders. I mainly bank fish right now but am looking into getting a flat bottom jon boat. Also been looking at the rod reel combo that basspro shop has cant member the name of it but i think its called the cat classic or something like that.

2. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Not sure what combo you're talking about. But if its the ones that Walmart has they're fine for 15-20 lbers but i'd say the bigger boys would rip the guts out of them.

3. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    If you are going after the big boys dont waste your money on buying cheap stuff it will only break and you'll end up having to buy better stuff in the long run anyways. Good Luck and welcome to the BOC!:smile2:

4. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Got one and use it quite often. Have heavier outfits when trying to catch that whopper though. Have caught fish up to 14 pounds with not problems. Have caught fish up to 17 pounds on ultra light tackle with 4 pound test line. Just make sure your line is in good shape and the drag isn't stuck which happens with that shakespeare reel alot.

5. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    the ones wal mart sales you are right the reels don't hold up must over 20 lbs but them rods are better then some 100.00 rods i have. I use the rods with abu 6000 on my guide service and love them i sale the reel that comes with them at yard sale or ebay for amost as much as the combo cost . Ya i kown some people but its the ebay way