Shakespeare Big Water POWERROD

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by bigd4xman, Jul 30, 2009.

1. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    What are some of your opinions on this rod? Just bought a 12foot medium action spinning from Gander Mountain yesterday and was wondering if I made a good choice. Seemed like a nice rod for 40 bucks! Also, what reel would some of you reccommend, I was looking at the PENN Captiva 8000 pretty hard yesterday, would that be enough reel? The rod is only rated to 25lb test.

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    they are a decent rod, but not as good as the higher priced bigwater ugly stick.

I think the reel you are looking at is a good match

3. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    In my opinion, the rod will probably be nice for channel cats. I would not recommend it for big blues or flatheads. If it is 12' and rated medium, it is probably similiar to a buggy whip. It will probably cast 2 or 3oz nicely. Good luck.

4. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    If you look at Shakespeare's website, the host of G3 Sportsman used an 8' Power Rod with a Penn spinning reel and 180lb Big Game Braid to land an alligator gar. I think that it'll handle catfish just fine. :wink:

7 Foot Freshwater Alligator Gar Landed on Shakespeare Gear

When you target the biggest fish in fresh water, you'd better have equipment that can meet the challenge. This 7ft, 154lb alligator gar is at the top of the food chain and was caught, tagged, and released from the Trinity River in East Texas using Shakespeares 8' Powerod armed with a Penn 760 Slammer spinning reel, and spooled in Berkley's Big Game Hollow Braid 180lb test with Seven Strand Duratest 175lb leader cable. You wanna take a picture of your next trophy? Better have the right gear...I did.
    Article Courtesy of: Scott Turnage G3 Sportsman

[​IMG]

5. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    I didnt figure it would be quite as good as an Ugly would, as for it being like a buggy whip it isn't, flexing it by hand it has some backbone and it is built THICK. Nice to know that an 8ft one has landed an almost 200lb fish, alligator gar fight TONS harder than big cats usually do. I figure if I like this shakespeare rod since its my first from them, I'll upgrade to the Ugly, the wife and I couldnt stomach the 80 to 100 dollar price tag right now with a baby on the way, but I do LOVE the way those Uglys look and feel.

6. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    Well, been doing alot of fishin' with the 12ft Powerod and liked it so much I went and bought a second 10ft Powerod for 30 bucks. I have them both outfitted with a Daiwa DF100A Monster reel, the largest Daiwa makes, holds 325 yards of 20LB test Berkley Big Game Solar NO PROBLEM. The 12 footer has no issues casting 6 or 8 ounces well over 100 yards out to about 150. I figure the 10ft will be good for 100yds max. The tips seem to have plenty of action to set a Circle hook well and I dont fish alot of current, if I get washed out with 8 ounces then its time to go home. If I'm fishing current or snags and logjams I get out the 8' MH American Spirit Nite Stick with a TW30 L baitcaster on it.
    GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN FISHIN' !!!:cool2:

7. lou_a

lou_a Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey BigD,
    I'm a big fan of cheap tackle that will get the job done well. Thanks for the tip on the Powerod.. I'll keep my eyes open for this.

I'm a big fan of the Daiwa DF100A. I do not believe there is a tougher spinning reel for 30 bucks out there. I'd bet that you can spend a good bit more and still not get a reel as tough as it. A little correction though; holds 320 yards of 30 Lb test , and 460 of 20. It takes one 1/4 Lb spool of line to fill it.

Good fishing to you...

8. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Pretty decent rod. Just gotta know what type fish you catch in your area an if the rod suites you. I would use it in this area for the big flatties we have here imo.

9. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    The Power Rods are pretty good rods. I have 3 of them a 7' casting heavy and two heavy 8' spinning rods. All the rods handle bigcats very well. For the money you can't beat them.

10. Jb1z

Jb1z New Member

State:
    Texas
    How well do the 12fters cast ?

11. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    It casts extremely well once your used to the length. I can get about 150-200 yards of line out using 20lb test berkley big game with 6 ounces of weight using a Daiwa DF100A large spinning reel.
    GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN FISHIN' !!!:cool2: