Shakespeare baitcaster?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by catwhisper, Oct 24, 2009.

1. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    I saw a Shakespeare tidewater 30LT at walmart for $39.00. i have never used a baitcaster but thought i would try this one before i spent a lot of money on one of the more expensive ones. Has anyone used a shakespeare and what do you think of them?

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have 7 of the Tidewaters and I love them. They don't cast as good as some other brands, but when you get a big fish, you will have full confidence in this reel

3. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I have two so far and have had zero problems...

4. festus

festus New Member

I don't know anything about the Shakespeare Tidewater or any of the other newer Shakespeare baitcasters, but I do have an old antique 1958 Shakespeare Triumph baitcaster. It still works fine!! It was given to me about 30 years ago by my uncle's father-in-law. It will cast a country mile, but I quit using it many many years ago.

Right now I'm debating whether buying one of these Tidewaters or an Abu.

5. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I was thinking of getting one of them also to try out . I have a Shakespeare baitcaster I bought 10 years ago that came on a 7 foot ugly stick that is a great reel . It will out cast all my abu reels by about 20 yards . Dont remember the rest of its name all to lettering and names have wore off . Its all crome and I wish I had a few more of them .

6. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    There's been many posts about the Shakespeare reels before & my .02 $$, is still the same, you couldn't GIVE me one of them.It's only my opinion but I'm stick'n to it!!!!!!!!!!!

Now needless to say I whole heartly believe all of those who said that they are yet to have a failure with one of them but for instance the Tidewater series reels were designed for saltwater usuage, which is where they fail on a regular basis. I work partime @ a saltwater baitshop & we won't even sell them there :crazy:.

Now on the other hand most of my rods are Uglysticks & they are nothing short of GREAAAAT.

7. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    i got that same reel. mine was $38.oo. so it seems you got a better deal before you, go for it bro. i love mine.

8. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My opinion is that if you can get to the fish, meaning distance is not a priority, the Shakespeare has plenty a power to land most any fish you catch. If you need distance to reach the fish, and ABU is probably a better choice. Good luck.

9. StiffPole

StiffPole New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    I have two of them, one is 2 years old and the other is three. I only use them in fresh water, run 80 and 100 lb. test braid on them, have had no problems, and catch 40-50 lb. fish on a regular basis with them. Like everyone has already said- they aren't the best for casting distance, but hey, the price is right. As a matter of fact- the first one I got was about this time of year, and Wally World had it on clearance for about 25 bucks. The following summer I decided to pay the normal price for another one.

10. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I have two of them I use on my boat for live bait. They don't cast a long distance, but I haven't had any problems yet.

11. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    what are the problems they have with them?

12. eric2006

eric2006 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    i bought one brand new from wal-mart, used it one time with no fish caught on it and after the first use, it wouldnt reel correct. So I let someone look at it and it turned out to be
    three gears that had some of the teeth missing. Hell one even had all the teeth missing. :angry: i was so pissed i just threw it away and bought an abu 6000 and a 6500 and was well worth the extra money:cool2:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  13. eric2006

eric2006 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Although i agree with trnsmsn, I will say that mine did cast a good distance.
    After what i went through with mine i wouldnt have another.:eek:oooh:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  14. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    ive got a tidewater and a skp2000c the tidewater is a hoss and the skp casts like a dream with 50 lb braid:wink: they got my vote

15. festus

festus New Member

I don't really like Walmart, but sometimes I just about have to buy minor fishing items there to avoid driving many miles out of my way. One thing they're good about is giving my money back if something is defective. If I don't have a receipt, they at least trade a new item for the defective one.

But there has been times I'd get PO'd and go ahead and throw something away out of anger from Walmart. I know where you're coming from, Eric.

16. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Somewhere on this site, if you care to look, you will find a thread about the biggest fish people ever caught. My reply to that post is right there for all to read.

My PB was a shark about half as long as my boat. 15 and 1/2 feet. And it was caught on the fish sized head of a lizard fish on a Tidewater. Sharks have teeth and there was not enough room in my boat for me and the teeth err shark and so I can't tell you what this fish weighted.

But I can tell you that had I been fishing with a 6500, as smooth and wonderful as they truely are, I would never have seen this shark.

To those who got a bad reel right out of the box ? I just have to wonder if it was a return that wally world stuck back on the shelf and ripped you off with it.. But even allowing that Shakespeare don't have the quality control that it should have, And even allowing that an equily qualified (or unqualified LOL) man with a 6500 can easily cast double the distance I can with my Tidewater, IT is a TROLLING reel ! It wasn't made to cast like a 6500 !

Campare it to the Pens with the flip switch.. They don't cast well either but no one is putting them down. So why put down a reel that does the job its made to do and does it well for 40 bucks ?

Now if you plan to beat the banks with a Shad Rap,,, THis is not the reel for you. But if your looking to put a fair sized bluegill etc on and either drop it straight down or maybe cast it 20-30 yards ? You won't find better bang for your bucks IMO.

17. larry again

larry again Active Member

State:
    missouri
    I have a 30la tidewater reel doen't cast very good ,after a big one kicked my butt on the I-70 bridge it jumps out of gear now.:angry: don't trust it now I guess I will stick with garcias & quatums .have not hade any problems with any of mine in the past.:big_smile:

18. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    i would say for a starter reel it is very good without making you go bankrupt. i have had one for 3 yrs. and i still use it. i use 20# mono and it will cast as far as i need it too with no prob. however i did have one set back with it, the lever tried to flip up when i would try to sling the he!! out of it. so i dont sling it near as hard and it cast just as far and now i dont have any prob.s with it. also i am rough on my stuff:wink::wink:

19. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    Larry again have you taken it apart to see why it jumps out? Might be dirty and need a good cleaning. I have 2 30L reels and have not had any problems at all with them. I have smaller ones too. The 30L reels have 50# line and the smaller ones have 30#line. And all work great with no problems But I keep them clean and lubed each year before use.

20. festus

festus New Member

I think Wally World puts bad stuff back on the shelf quite often, not only in the sporting goods department, but everywhere. I quit buying anything mechanical there long ago, whether it would be fishing reels, window fans, kitchen appliances--anything. However I can give Walmart credit, I never have any problems returning anything. They'll give my money back or trade the defective item for a new one.