Shakespeare baitcast 6ft combo

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by tncatfishing, Dec 21, 2005.

1. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Bought a shakespeare baitcast 6ft combo last night. Under thirty dollars so it is perfect for me to learn on. I was trying it out last night in the backyard of all places and it casts pretty well. I can tell I need to get use to it. The retrievel speed is nice. This is my first baitcast set up and I am going to use it next time out. Have it wound with berkley big game 14lb test.

2. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    By the way the combo is called an exterra.

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I think it will be fine for learning with, but I wouldn't trust it with battling a big fish. Fish 10#s and under, it should do well for a while!!!

4. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I have seen fellow fisherman with similar setups just different name brand pull in fish considerable bigger than 10lbs. Now I am not saying or expecting to catch a huge cat on this pole as it will be primarily used for lure fishing. The pole itsely is not an ultra lite I already have one of those my small spicast combo, ok the spincast is bigger than a ultralite. But I believe the baitcast combo I have has plenty of action for a realy decent size striper or cat.

5. Ohio Trophy Hunter

Ohio Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    i dunno,i caught a 19# blue on my girl's ugly stick 4'8" ultralight and a $20 gander mountain microlite guide series reel last year.i think that was the most fun i had all year!
    i'd post a pic if i could figure out how to shrink it!
    that fish just DWARFS the rod n reel combo! :D LOL!
    Eric B
    p.s.the rod and reel are both still in perfect shape after several 10#and over cats,and will no doubt be challenged again this year!