Shakespeare Alpha Downrigger rod?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Douglas Foster, Sep 18, 2006.

  1. Douglas Foster

    Douglas Foster New Member

    SW Oklahoma
    I went to my local bait shop for a dozen minnows this morning and found a nice Shakespeare rod, 9', Med/Hvy, 10-20 b. line. Model DRCA 590. I buy it for $20. When I got home from the lake, I looked it up on the internet and discovered it's a downrigger rod. What exactly is a downrigger rod? How are they different from a "regular" rod? I've read several posts recently on the benefits of 8-12 foot poles, and I thought I might have stumbled onto a good thing. Now I'm not sure what I have here.
    Oh, yes, I caught 4 eater size channels on the minnows!:tounge_out: I love catfishing. Doug
  2. jailcop2

    jailcop2 New Member

    Down rigger rods are ,of course , made to be used with down riggers . From what I can find out , they have a flexible tip ,but with a lot of back bone to withstand the extra amount of pressure they have to bare .
    You should be fine with that rod for good size kitty's .

  3. buddah

    buddah New Member

    Pennsylvania Wi
    OK, this might sound stupid but, What is a down rigger? I'm from inland central Pa. so I'm not too familiar with this kind of thing?
  4. peewee williams

    peewee williams New Member

    Stupid people are the ones that don;t ask as the BOC is about sharing.
    "Down rigger" is a term used for deep trolling equipment.Check out the term for the equipment in the Cabela's and Bass Pro catalog or websites for pictures and equipment.It is basically a method of getting your lure deep when trolling,and yet having it released to freely fight a fish when you get a strike.I have only fished it a couple of times as a guest and that was a long time ago.Any more info will have to come from a more knowledgeable person.peewee-williams.