Shakespeare Alpha Downrigger rod?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Douglas Foster, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    I went to my local bait shop for a dozen minnows this morning and found a nice Shakespeare rod, 9', Med/Hvy, 10-20 b. line. Model DRCA 590. I buy it for $20. When I got home from the lake, I looked it up on the internet and discovered it's a downrigger rod. What exactly is a downrigger rod? How are they different from a "regular" rod? I've read several posts recently on the benefits of 8-12 foot poles, and I thought I might have stumbled onto a good thing. Now I'm not sure what I have here.
    Oh, yes, I caught 4 eater size channels on the minnows!:tounge_out: I love catfishing. Doug

2. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Down rigger rods are ,of course , made to be used with down riggers . From what I can find out , they have a flexible tip ,but with a lot of back bone to withstand the extra amount of pressure they have to bare .
    You should be fine with that rod for good size kitty's .

3. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    OK, this might sound stupid but, What is a down rigger? I'm from inland central Pa. so I'm not too familiar with this kind of thing?

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Stupid people are the ones that don;t ask as the BOC is about sharing.
    "Down rigger" is a term used for deep trolling equipment.Check out the term for the equipment in the Cabela's and Bass Pro catalog or websites for pictures and equipment.It is basically a method of getting your lure deep when trolling,and yet having it released to freely fight a fish when you get a strike.I have only fished it a couple of times as a guest and that was a long time ago.Any more info will have to come from a more knowledgeable person.peewee-williams.