Shakespeare 2000c..my 2cents

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by eric2006, Sep 7, 2008.

1. eric2006

eric2006 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I Hate this reel so much..lol I have it on a 9ft ole' whiskers rod.
    I should have read about it before buying it..
    I'm really having bad troulbe casting this reel. One time it will cast OK the next its awful!! I cant get it to cast far at all. I can cast a shakespeare spinning reel longer on a 7ft rod better
    I havent caught any fish on it yet, but i got a hit on it the other night and now when im reeling with it, it seems like the bearing drags. Maye thats not what its doing. My 2 cents about these reels is that there junk:angry:
    Im planning on getting two 8ft rods (not sure what brand yet) with an Abu Garcia 6500 or maye 7000 reels:cool2:.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Eric,I have four on my rods now ,and other that one that I completely wore out the level wind pawl ,I have no beef with them on the working end. The bait clicker might as well not exsist tho . I cast up to 3 oz egg sinkers on my 7 &7 1/2 ft berkly biggame rods all the time ,I'd say my casts ave. around 100ft ,but thats about as far as I need to cast. If I need longer casts ,I break out the 12 ft boys rigged with my Abu 7000s

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Remeber the saying you get what you pay for, I use only Abu reels and they never have let me down.

4. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    i've had 2 over the years, i still use 1. the 1st one i got about 5 or 6 years ago and use it all the time with no problems. it's not as nice as my abus, but for 30 bucks. the 2nd i bought off ebay and it had a graphite spool instead of aluminium like my other one. it sucks, won't cast ect. i only used it once.
    chip

5. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    I have 2 of them have no problems casting, the only problem I have are the bait clicker are junk.

Might be a good off season project to rework the bait clickers.

6. eric2006

eric2006 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    i agree with you all the way..
    maybe i may have got a bad reel too..

7. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    Are you sure you have it set right? So that it just starts to fall when you hit the release. And what line are you using if it is too heavy that may be it. I have two with 30# test tuff line XP and they cast real well. Alot of it is in the setup.

8. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well put!

9. beagle1963

beagle1963 New Member

State:
    Texas
    The only problem I have had with them as the drag won't lock down. If you catch a good fighting fish, you have trouble getting him in cause he's pulling line out.

10. eric2006

eric2006 New Member

State:
    West Virginia

I was first using 20lb shakespeare but i dont like that line either, so now im using berkley trilene 20lb big cat line.
    I've also tried setting it to where it slowly falls off and other ways so this why im thinking i may have a bad reel, but at the same time ive heard people say the same things i am.

11. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    Try the limpest line you can find that will help. You can always put on some tuff line xp it is 30# test 8#dia the reel will hold 300yds. And take the reel apart and clean the drag washers and gear with brake clean. Put the washers in clean and dry and lube the spindle bushings. And when it is not in use loosen the drag.

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    A friend of mine bought a couple of those reels once to fish for flatheads with...The drags would not lock down tight enough to pull a fish of any size in, and if they did I wonder if the gears would hold up.

Youn can get an abu 6000 for 60 bucks, which is a much better reel.

I would even use a cheap spinning reel over those.

13. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i bought one,used it once,cussed it for a couple of hours,threw it in the bucket,got home and trashed it.i spooled it with 12 pound bps excel which is super limp and about the easiest casting line i have found,i set my spool control clear loose,but just to where the spoole has no left to right movement.2 ounces of weight,i let her rip,my god,sounded like a cat caught in the cooling fan in the middle of winter in my truck,my god,it was awful!!!!!!!!!

i bought it cause it was cheap and the clicker was so easy to pull.i was looking for replacements for my millionaire 2's,because the bushings are worn out.should have just got new bushings instead of wasting my money on a reel i knew more than likely wouldn't replace those millionaires,lol

14. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    at one point in time i had 12 spinning reels at home setting in my house.....

i went on the web to see how the drag system worked ( front drag )

i spent close to 6 hrs looking at little tips and tricks to make cheaper reels ( i only buy on a budget so usually no more that $20 on a "combo" ) work smoother and last longer.....

of those 12 reels 1 of them was big enough for catting ( we went trout fishing alot in Cali ) but the other 11 were really grimmy and rough feeling from sitting in a Desert's garage for 6 years i striped down and put my own drag discs in and little Mods here and there....i found some people that went trout fishing around here and some that do some ultra light striper fishing here in havasu so i offered them one of my prototypes to try......( after i did some garage tests )

the guy that did striper fishing here was using 4 lb cajun lightning mono and the others used light mono for trout fishing but both have caught really nice fish ( the striper guy caught a 8 lb striper on a ??? crank bait ???? i have no clue about lures ) and the few reels i gave the trout guy caught many 2-3 lb and 3, 22-26" brown trout on my reel mods along with " i think a couple of 30" samon.... ( maby he was lying :smile2:)

i guess my Mods to my combos could be why ive never have a problem with shakespeare reels ( ive had a problem with shakespeare management):roll_eyes: but not with the products

it may also be becasue i cant leave things alone ( i have to see how the thing was built( quality wise ) and see how they work......

im probably going to light a few fires here but maby ill get a PM with someone that agrees :smile2:

LeRoy