shakespear Tiger rod and reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by whiskers, Oct 13, 2005.

1. whiskers

whiskers New Member

State:
    colorado
    I LOVE IT!!! This is the best cat rod that i have ever used... Anyone else like this rod? Feel free to through in your 2 cents worth!

2. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    I have 4 of them. I have the spinning version. Can't beat the price at 20$

3. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

I've still got the reel, but the rod tip broke on me when I snagged on a log.

Ray

4. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    i just orderd one planning on matching it up with a 6500 abu hope it works out

5. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    I never know which rod is being talked about when I hear Shakespeare Tiger. There is a Shakespeare Ugly Stik Tiger rod for around $60 and Shakespeare Tiger rod and reel combos for $20 from Walmart. I have a few of both. The Walmart $20 spincasting and spinning combos are nice for channel cats after I took the oversized 20lb. line off from the spincasters and replaced it with Big Game 12lb. test. The $60 Shakespeare Ugly Stik Tiger rod is one of my favorite heavy duty flathead rods. My boys think they are tournament casters with the light line on the Walmart $20 spincast rod and reels. :) Abu

6. whiskers

whiskers New Member

State:
    colorado
    Does anyone else like this rod as much as I do?

7. whiskers

whiskers New Member

State:
    colorado
    I use 30 pound test stren super braid on it... ITS AWESOME!

8. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I have 11 tiger rods I sale the reel at yard sale for 10 bucks . But love the rods I put ABU 5600 and 6500 on them. I have landed blues over 50 lbs on them and loads of cats over 20 lb. I have three that I use for beginners on my guide service if they mess up a rod or reel i'm only out 20 bucks.

9. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

i purchased 2 combos last week have not had them long enough to give
    any firm oponion,so far so good,the line that came on them had to go
    replaced with 17lb stren and they cast a lot better,wont pass judgement
    till i have given them a KIRK test. :eek:
    KIRK :D

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Are you talking about the ugly stik tiger rod? I have one in medium heavy action and for 55 bucks I think it's the strongest rod made..

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've said it many times, I think it was a complete mistake by Shakesphere's marketing divison to name these rods the same thing. In my opinon the $20 Tiger combos seem to be a great buy for $20, I mean a great buy for $20 but I think it may hurt the Ugly Stick Tiger Rod's reputation a little, becasue so many people get the two confused. I know I sure did at first.

12. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Ya and they should come out with a baitcast combo on the rod . I myself don't use the spinner reels but the rod works great i have some $50 and $80 rods that work just as good as the $20 tiger rod with 5600 ABU on them.

13. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats good to know. I beleive you espically if you use them on your trips. I will recomend this rod for new catters, but will tell them to get a diff reel.

14. whiskers

whiskers New Member

State:
    colorado
    I use the 20 dollar combo...

15. chuckjohn

chuckjohn Member

State:
    iowa
    i have 3 of them one of my reels just broke after 7 yrs and had to replace it.went to a flea market and picked up a new reel for 10 bucks to put on the rod love these combos.

16. surfcat

surfcat Well-Known Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Name:
    Nick
    Any rod that you can use to get out on the water is the best combo.:smile1:

But, as I get older, my preferences change for what I like to use.

In the end, just make sure your catching those fish and posting those pics!

17. chuckjohn

chuckjohn Member

State:
    iowa
    they have them with spin cast reels on them those are casting rods and are just as good as the spinning reel sell the reel for 10 bucks and you have a 10 dollar rod

18. chuckjohn

chuckjohn Member

State:
    iowa
    they have them with spin cast reels on them those are casting rods and are just as good as the spinning reel sell the reel for 10 bucks and you have a 10 dollar rod