shake spear black baitcaster 34 dollers

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by slikk03, Jun 19, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    re these any good or does the drag suck

2. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i take it your talking about the shakespear tidewater reels at walmart? ive never used em but have friends that have and they seem like a very dependable reel that is able to hold a fairly large amount of line. havent heard much on the drag but they are a fairly decent reel in my opinion. see alot of guys on tv use them for gar and striper fishing. most will say that they have nothing on abu garcias but i like em better. maybe that because im cheap:smile2::wink: anyway if you buy one let us know how it works.

3. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Ive used the tidewaters from wallyworld with the graphite spool and they are ok. i really like the tidewaters with an alumnium spool alot better, only place i've found them is on ebay. they cast alot better. i bought one for 22$ with shipping included.
    chip

4. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you are using the reel to drop or flip off the end of a boat, I am sure they are worth the money. If you are a bank fisherman and plan to mount the reel on a 10-12' rod and need casting distance, I would save your money. Good luck.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    What is the model on it? I had a Shakespeare SKP2000(I believe it was) and it was junk!!! It wasn't even good for short distance casting. I had problems with it first time I used it, I ended up giving it away.
    Never mind, now that I think of it, it may have been silver instead of black.:roll_eyes: :confused2:

6. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    i bought a tidewater earlier this year and its been pretty good so far but i havent hooked into anything big yet. like it was said earlier, its not the greastest for distance. ive been using baitcasters since i was about 10 and i still manage to get this one backlashed quite a bit.

7. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have two of them and no problems.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have and use both the older SKP2000 and a Tidewater 30 Both are decent reels ,I dont have any problems casting either one ,the 2000 is mounted on a 10 ft rod and the tidewater on a 12 ft rod I can cast either a long way with the proper weight on the end:cool2:The old SKP 2000 were black ,the newer ones are silver,the level wind pawl wears out rather quick throwing 2oz+weights tho.

9. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I have one of the tidewaters. Biggest fish so far is 6 to 7 pound range. Like Adam1886 side could be better for distance. But if you keep a little thumb pressure on the spool you can get good distance with it. I use 5 and 6 ounce sinkers on mine. I have better luck with heaver sinkers than the lighter one say 2 to 3 oz ones. Hope this helps. Still waiting to hook a bigger fish to test the drag.

Tom

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have one, the drag is jerky, and it does not cast well at all..for those resons i dont use it.