shaft length

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by jamesgrogers, Apr 27, 2008.

1. jamesgrogers

jamesgrogers New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    how do you measure shaft legth what points do you measure from on the motor?

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You start where the saddle bracket fits over the transome and measure down to the anticavation plate right above the prop. If its a evenrude or johnsone get me the model number and I can get it for you.

3. jamesgrogers

jamesgrogers New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    thanks alot bubba I believe it is 25RMEUR it is a 96 or 97 model Evenrude I will also measure I think it is a little long for a 15" transom would it fit or do I need to look for a boat with a taller transom.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Its a short shaft. Look at the letters the last four tell the tell. The r means
    start with the last letter The r is a production run letter means nothing to us the eu tell the year and if the m had been a LYXor Z it would have determined the shaft length. Yours have neither so its a short shaft.

5. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    short shaft is standard for 15" (vertical measurement) transom. I know my transom is 17" measuring down the back and w/ my short shaft 20hp the cavitation plate is perfectly even with the bottom of the boat. That's what you want. Hope this helps.

6. jamesgrogers

jamesgrogers New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    my transom is 15" vert measure or 17" measured down the back with the cavitation plate about 2.5" below the bottom with the trim pin in the lowest hole I am thinking about raising the engine to try to get better performance. the main prob is that the engine is to heavy (I think) there is not enough freeboard while running off plane the boat is a 1542 I think I need a 1548 to handle the weight of the 3 cyl motor.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Do you have any idea what the boat is rated for and another way to solve some of the weight problem is to install some trim tabs on it. Plus it does need to be raised some.