Shads normal diet

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Steve W, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Steve W

Steve W New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I've been catching shad with a hand net fairly consistently in the same location. The location is right next to the mouth of a drainage ditch from a soy bean field. When you cut the shad for bait, thier stomacks are full of green stuff that looks like algea. Are shad vegetarians? Maybe there's something I,m not seeing in their gut, something microscopic. Does anybody in the B.O.C. have any information about what a normal shad diet consist of?

Question #2: I recently read a fishing article where the fisherman was explaining how he had caught shad that had been blown by the wind into a cove. I don't see how the wind could force the direction which shad swim.
    Once you get underwater, where most of our Arkansas shad are, it would seem that the affects of wind would be minimal below 1 foot. Maybe the first 8-10 inches of the surface water could be affected by wind direction. This seems, to me, also true for barometric pressure-but that a different arguement. My question for the B.O.C. is how does wind affect shad school location if the schools are deeper than 1 foot? and is it possible that the wind is blowing the shad's food stuff, and that the shad are voluntarily swimming to these location because of the availability of food.

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Shad are plankton feeders. dead floating shad are blown into coves.

3. Steve W

Steve W New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Thanks for the info Jack

4. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Yes, I believe that the wind does make a big difference in where shad will be. Shad mainly feed on plankton. Now this plankton feeds on the nutrients that are in the water. Windy day's pushes the plankton's food in the direction of the wind. The plankton follow the nutrients and the shad follow the plankton. Then the catfish follow the shad. That big circle of life thing. :p The shad will be where the food is just like the plankton is where the nutrients are. That's why you will see shad below dams and spillways because all the food is there. Nutrients, plankton then shad, then catfish. When I'm looking at catching shad I will of course look to see if any are flipping at the surface and then concentrate on wind blown shores.

5. moe

moe New Member

State:
    nc
    I think shad are mostly algea feeders because they feed heavily behind dams in swift water. Plankton would be swept away, but the heavy slime algea stays on the rocks and any kind of structure under the water.

moe

6. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Right on Chris! That's a great description of precisely what's happening down there beneath the waves.

The shad I'm familiar with around here...one of the two species of Gizzard shad is a plankton feeder. The other species of Gizzard shad...which is also known as a Skip Jack...along with a few other species of shad do in fact eat insects as well...(Such as Threadfin, American, and Hickory Shad)...and are also themselves eaten by some people...and are considered fine tablefare by...well...someone other than me. Lol (Although to be fair about it...I have not tried them)

7. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I catch shad from the bank at places where water from a pump is running into the river! If you are quick enough you can catch them by hand!

8. catonboard

catonboard New Member

State:
    IN
    thanks for the info.

9. catonboard

catonboard New Member

State:
    IN
    I** am** sure***that

10. catonboard

catonboard New Member

State:
    IN
    ****I*****Will*****

11. catonboard

catonboard New Member

State:
    IN
    *****be ***********glad

12. catonboard

catonboard New Member

State:
    IN
    when i finally get to 10 posts. sorry for doing it this way. but I have no patience.:crazy:

13. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    The algea around dams and such is a type of plankton usually... plankton whether its zoo or phyto is basically just a classification on single celled organisms... It just likes hang out together in colonies... thats what that slimy stuff usually is on the rocks...

The shad feed on plankton... both zoo and phyto... its like humans and many other omnivors... is it edible and will it fit in my mouth... they just keep the taste for plankton as they grow rather then finding newer larger items...

The wind blows usually the zoo plankton around but phyto get blown too ... and the shad follow... very similarly to catfish following the baitfish...