Shades, what do you wear

Discussion in 'Fishing Clothing Review' started by fishnfwl, Jan 9, 2008.

1. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Looking for a good pair of sun glasses, what do you all have? I have been through the field, everything from the $5 quick mart pair to the $100+ shades. Years back I used to have the old style Bill Dance that wally-world sold, they were cheap and fit well, light weight and comfortable. Had a pair of oaks that were over $100, they were also nice, but, as most of ya know, they just don't last very long (for me anyway) either scratched, fly-off on the water, just break. I am not looking for the big dollar ones, just a good fitting cheap pair of polarized glasses, the stuff at WM just doesn't fit me right and I end up not using them. Also the wife wears eye glasses, looking for good cover-ups, (not the ones that look like safety goggles) for her, you all know the sun can be harsh on the eyes during a day on the water. So, Give me some ideas on what you all are using and were to shop for a descent pair, either on-line or off. What is worth the money what is not? tips on protecting them from damage etc.
    Thanks
    Randy

2. hillcountryfishin

hillcountryfishin New Member

State:
    tx
    Well, I can tell ya about the two pair that have lasted me the last 3-4 yrs. One pair of Oakley half jackets with the removable lenses , they lasted a year in Iraq and have followed me home where they still get used. I have a pair of Costa Del Mar's and they protect my eyes like no other. Abosulte best pair of shades this ol boy ever bought. However both are pricey. I try to take care of them sense they are $ and so far they have gone through a tour in Iraq and countless fishing trips.
    The cheaper ones from Wally World always seemed to work well too. They just broke or I would loose them. Renegade I think was the name.

3. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    I like the tinted safety glasses that wrap around the side a little. My favorite kind are called Black Widow. They are made by Stihl and you can find them at dealers who sell Stihl chain saws and power eqipment. They cost about 13.00. Dave

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i buy the renegades from wal-mart...seem pretty comfortable for the money! lol....around 12-15 bucks....rollo

5. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I have been through countless pairs of sun glasses and from all price ranges. I have been having good luck over the past couple of years with Solar Bats from Wal Mart. Less than $20 a pair and i like them much better than anything else in that price range, even up to $100. I have bought my last high $ pair for outdoor use. I just can keep them that long. I will break, scratch, crack, drop, through or something else to destroy or even lose them. The higher the price seems like the faster I destroy them in one form or another.:smile2: I have spent $40 over the past two years and still have both pair of glasses.

Thanks
    David

6. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i like the oakleys, i'm actually thinking about getting a pair w/the mp3 player built in!!!!

7. Lost-him

Lost-him New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I had a pair of REI glaciers for about 15 years but finally broke them last year. They don't make them any more but were the best and most durable pair I ever had. Now i have a pair of Maui Jims. I tend to pay a little more for my glasses as they generally give better UV protection.

8. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I have lost or broken every pair of shades that I have owned. I buy the cheapest pair I can get as a result.

9. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    IF THEY FIT GOOD AND YOU CAN SEE GOOD THEY WILL WORK DONT CARE WHAT YOU CALL THEM

10. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Due to the fact that i Distroy every pair i get i go with the el-cheapo's. I can buy important stuff with the money. Beer, gas, tackle,etc. all falls under heading of important stuff:eek:oooh:

11. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I have too wear prescription sunglasses. Optometrist said that I can't have surgery and that my astigmatism was too bad too get surgery.

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Mine are Prescription. Actually they are transitions, they get dark in the sun and clear when not. They wont get dark when driving though, the windshield stops them from that.

13. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I'm with most other people here. I wear cheap polarized ones from Wal-mart.

14. brewfish

brewfish New Member

State:
    fl
    Added another to the wally world list. I have either broken or lost every pair of shades i've ever owned. I can't recall the brand but the ones i always buy look identical to the pair of costa del mars that my buddy owns. The only difference is i don't feel nearly as bad when i take my hat off my head only to fling my shades into the water becuase i forgot i set them on my hat.

Like they say, your memory is the second thing to go, i can't remeber what the first thing is.

15. joadb

joadb New Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    i bought a set from cabela's for 24 bucks and they have lasted three years and work great.

16. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Like the song says. Go get yourself some cheap sunglasses. With a glass so dark they won't even know your name. LOL!

17. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i wear the Renegade expensive ones from Wal-Mart. them things are like $12!!! i wear the smaller fit because if i wear the regular ones i wind up looking like the FLY:crazy:

18. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I have a $100 pair of Oakleys, but them stay in the case in the glove box of the truck. They for driving only. I can't lose them if I only wear them while I am in the drivers seat and never ever take them out of the truck. I have a set of Wiley x's left over from Iraq. I keep them in the boat and use them when driving the boat. They are like sunglasses/safety glasses. Great for wind and dust. I use the cheap walmart ones for everything else.

19. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well, folks I'm still wearing a pair pair of nice sunglasses that I won at the 2006 BOC National Gathering! :big_smile:

Another good reason not to miss the upcoming 2009 BOC Expo!! :wink:

20. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    My favorite is Costa Del Mars,unless I'm crappie fishing,then I use the ones that my Doctor prescribed. It's hard for me to see that itty bitty line.And even harder to put the line through the eye of the hook. Allen