Shade; what do you use?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by knapperheadmatt, Jun 8, 2006.

1. knapperheadmatt

knapperheadmatt New Member

State:
    texas
    well its summer again here in texas and man is it hot . i need shade. right now i use a golf umbrella stuck down in my pvc rod holder. not too good in the wind. any ideas?
    matt

2. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I have my wife fan me with a big palm leaf and feed me grapes after she baits the hooks and sets the lines........Okay that was a dream, the part of the river I fish is in the woods on both sides of the river, so it is pretty shaded.

3. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I have a wide brimmed hat that has like fish netting all the way around the crown and lets the air flow though and seems to cool me down, rough guessing about fifteen degrees.

4. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    We're going to town and look for a canopy of some sort. Ma's getting tired of standing between me and the sun:lol:

5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    most Of The Time I Go Early In The Morning Before It Gets Real Hot. If In A Boat I Just Put Up With It.puts Kots Of Sun Screen On Be Surprised How Much Cooler That Stuff Makes A Body Feel.maybe Its All In My Headbut Feels Good. Get You Some Tie Downs To Put On Your Umbrella And Stake It Four Ways.maybe That Would Help.keep It More Steady.

6. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Talk about it being hot,I live in Fl.& I know just what you mean. I only fish for cats and all my fishing is done at night.

7. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I fish 80-90 % at night during the summer. I do however have a 8x8 easy up that is perfect for 2. Very simple to put up and down. Got it 5 years ago at Sports Athority. Cost $90 but they are cheaper now.

8. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    When I fished bass tournaments I would us a couple things like bandannas that have jell in them. Wear one around your neck and have the other cooling , works great.

9. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Let me know if you find one like that. My wife beats me with sticks, feeds me her fist and won't let me fish. (just kidding dear):crazy:

I have a very large brimmed hat.

10. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Ready made shade :cool2:

Attached Files:

11. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I have to say i fish at night to get some cover from the sun... Its very pleasant and the only problem with it is that you can't see exactly where your casts land all the time... i don't mind it though, its peaceful

12. Lawdog

Lawdog New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I put a binini top on my 16' john-boat. Sure is nice but sometimes will get in the way of your hook-set.

13. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I looked into getting a bimini but I was worried about the same thing. The problem with the umbrella is that if the sun isn't more or less straight overhead, the shadow (shade) may be over the water instead of over the boat. I need a second umbrella I think.

14. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    I don't see why a bimini top wouldn't work, they come in diff sizes, heights, and can be mounted about anywhere.Can keep the rain off to if it isn't to windy.I saw one a buddy had made,He mounted it about midship and u could lean it to the front or the rear.Kind of a sail in the wind but seemed to work OK for a little shade....Ur humble servant beartrap and buoy

15. ears

ears New Member

State:
    *Required*
    I use a beach umbrella in a rod holder unless it is too windy. I have a little umbrella that clamps on to the back of a chair it will swing around to face the sun and is small enough that it will hold up to a pretty good wind. I use it in winter to keep the cold wind off the back of my neck too.

16. Cat King

Cat King New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Find some trees, that would help

17. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I have found that a pretty woman that measures about 44in around the pectoral region will provide plenty of shade as well as pleasent visual distraction when the fish arent biting.Far better than a bimini as you can place them (Oooops) her where you want her,including out of the way when you have to do the hookset thing.You SHOULD be using circles or Kahles anyway.This kind of shade works particularly well at night also unlike the other methods previously
    recommended.:lol: :big_smile: :roll_eyes: :smile2: :eek:oooh:

18. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use the same, have the tall one and casting is no problem with one or two steps forward or aft, then sit in the shade

19. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    My boat has a 8ft wide x 10ft long top, so i just put the boat where the sun don't shine in it.........and nite fish when its real hot......

20. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Yo matt, joes umbrella is the way to go. We have a patio umbrella that we picked up at fred thats 7 or 8 feet and it'll shade the whole rear of the boat. If i remember right it was less than twenty buxs. It sure beats sittin in the heat all day! I figured as small as my boat is a bikini top would be in the way more than i would use it so its just easier using the umbrella.