Shad

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by sqlhawkn, Aug 27, 2008.

1. sqlhawkn

sqlhawkn New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Where can I find shad that I can catch with a cast net - not from a boat though? Around the LKN area that is fairly accessible.

2. btilley

btilley New Member

State:
    NORTH CAROLINA
    that might be a tough task....every place that i have seen them are not reachable by land. some of the vets might be able to help

3. mhedrick

mhedrick Member

State:
    NC
    The tail race below dams is a good bet. You could check below Mt Island Dam. Shad should run the edge when they are generating (running wate4r)

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Matt, welcome to the BOC/SOC :cool2:, best catfishing site on the web! Be sure to check out the library, a lot of good info in there.

Get your 10 posts in so you can send a pm. Then send Mac ( Lakenormanblues) a pm, I'd bet he can help ya out.

5. sqlhawkn

sqlhawkn New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the welcome! Been reading up on all of the info here. Lots of great info but I still got a lot to learn!

6. Bill Smith

Bill Smith New Member

State:
    north carolina
    before I had a boat I caught shad at night or early morning by puting a light in the water at the end of the dock. Usually only took 30 - 45 minutes before shad were all around. I still use this method at night from my boat. Good Luck !

7. deepwoods

deepwoods Member

State:
    north carolina
    At dark try the bridge and spillway areas in the State park. There normally is bait there.

8. sqlhawkn

sqlhawkn New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hit the spillway at the state park this morning. Filled the bucket with shad and brim. Didn't catch any cats though. Caught some perch with a worm but other than that...nothing. Might try again towards dark.

Any places to fish after dark from the bank around that area that might produce some cats?