shad

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by hunted, Aug 18, 2008.

1. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    is it me,or does it seem like shad lose some of their smell after they grow bigger?

2. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I think they all stink! lol. You have any pointers on keeping them alive?

3. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    good luck,is all i can say.hit the home button and look for the catfish pubs.there is a vast wealth of info,i am sure someone has posted a topic on it.but,they are hard to keep alive.

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Keeping them alive is not a hard thing to do. I use a couple of additives to my livewell. Either 'BaitFresh" or "Shadkeeper". Both work great with aeration. Keep the water temp down by adding some ice.

5. slinky

slinky New Member

State:
    ohio
    the secret for me is not to get greedy, i can keep about a dozen alive in my live well with ice. i dont use any other product just the water they r from and some ice as long as i keep the water temp below 50 i dont have much problems.

6. catfishking35

catfishking35 New Member

State:
    ohio
    its easier to keep them a live if you dont cram a hole bunch into the same water

7. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    BIG AND LITTLE THEY BOTH SMELL LIKE FLATHEAD FOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wink:

8. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    I CATCH MINE WHILE ON THE LAKE AND KEEP THEM IN THE LIVEWELL WITH ABOUT A HALF BAG OF ICE . THEY DO ALRIGHT FOR ABOUT FOUR OR FIVE HOURS THEN THE WATER HEATS UP AND THEY START TO DIE. MY PROBLEM THIS YEAR IS CATCHING ANY THAT ARE OF ANY SIZE. EARLIER THE LAKES WERE TEAMING WITH FOUR OR FIVE INCH ONES NOW THE NET COMES UP WITH INCH AND A HALFERS. I JUST CAN'T SEEM TO GET ON ANY GOOD ONES

9. slinky

slinky New Member

State:
    ohio
    been gettin some monsters at rocky fort!

10. BG CAT

BG CAT New Member

State:
    Westerville OH
    Check out this info on bait tanks.

You need a round or oval tank with circulating water, a filter to remove scales, and an insulated tank to keep temperature stable for a long period of time (shad die easily if water temps changes even a few degrees). Shad will suffocate on scales if not filtered and get what is called red nose from stress of swimming into corners. You also need to add salt 1 cup for every 10 gallons of water in tank for damage repair (loss of scales when catching them)and foam away or shad keep to remove foam and ammonia out of the water. It not easy to keep them alive but this is your best chance.

This web site can give you all the info you need.

www.castnetworld.com/livebaitwells.html

11. BG CAT

BG CAT New Member

State:
    Westerville OH