Shad

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSISSIPPI TALK' started by fish_head, May 1, 2008.

1. fish_head

fish_head New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Well, I hate to ask, but I might as well, since I don't have any of the most popular bait, apparently skipjack. When I see "shad" breaking the surface, what kind is it? I see that Skipjack is great bait, but how do I get some? I have caught shad in a cast net many years ago, and I have caught big shad on little shad dart jigs a long time ago. But if I see shad breaking the surface in a North Central MS lake, is that gizzard shad? Where are these skipjacks and how do I get some, or are gizzard shad okay?
    Thanks for any help

2. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    First off those could be threadfin or gizzard most likely threadfin. The bait you want to use is skipjack or Mooneye witch is in the same family as a gizzard shad. To catch either of these you need to be on the river.We get mooneye by throwing a big cast net behind parked barges along the bank the bugs get up under them & the bait fish wait for the bugs. Skipjack on the other hand are about inpossible to get in the cast net so you have to fish for them. You can use a sabaki rig or I like to use 3 small crappie jigs tied inline with alittle weight at the bottom & a bobber also use swivels so your line don't twist.Below dams, low water dams,wing dikes,causeways any wear you have good current coming across with some breaks & eddy's.Hope this helops you get some good bait. Good Fishing!:006: The tennesse river & cumberland & Mississippi river have alot late spring through the fall. the river levels could effect your catch.

3. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Most will be either Gizzard Shad or Tread fin Shad. Gizzard Shad will be to be as large as your forearm but most are only about hand length or shorter.

Both make for some GREAT catfish bait!:wink: