Shad

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by catfishking35, Sep 20, 2007.

1. catfishking35

catfishking35 New Member

State:
    ohio
    how do u guys cut ur shad?? i need some tips thanks

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    First of all welcome to the BOC. Myself I usually use just the head portionor if small enough hook it through the head and the again through the back part if possible.May not be right but I have a real bad habit of throwing the bait off if not done that way.
    Try checking out the BOC Libarary full of good info in there.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Depends a lot on the size of the shad, as well as the size of the fish I'm after. The smaller the shad, the fresher they need to be, because they start to rot so quickly; it's common for the gut pocket to rot out of a small shad in 30 minutes if not well iced down. But, they can be very good while fresh. Most people use the small ones whole. A good way to hook them is to run the hook ALL the way through the eyes, leaving just the line going through them; then hook the shad in the back, down towards the tail. As with any bait, be sure you don't overcrowd the hook; and as with any fish type bait, be sure you don't have a scale impaled on the tip of the hook. Somewhat larger shad I'll cut in half, from just in front of the dorsal fin to just behind the anus, barely cutting open the back of the gut pocket so it leaks some of those yummy juices. Large shad get cut into steaks. With huge shad I'll cut the top of the back off, right next to the backbone, and cut that into chunks; steak the rest. Unless I'm targeting the big boys, I don't use the head of shad larger than abou 6", but they are good for the big ones, especially if you can cut them so that the gut pocket stays attached. I don't use the tails unless I'm running out of bait.

4. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    welcome abord...I MADE A NEEDLE OUT OF A OLD MOTOR CYCLE SPOKE USING A DREMEL AND GRINDER..ON THE SMALL ONES I CUT THE TALE OFF ,RUN THE NEEDLE ATTACHED TO A LEAD LINE THRU HAVING A TREBLE HOOK WHERE THE TALE SHOULD BE.

5. catfishking35

catfishking35 New Member

State:
    ohio
    thanks guys that really helps

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i cut the big ones from the top of the head to the beginning of the anal fin, just enough to expose the gut. the small ones i use whole. if you can get a good lively 8 or 10 incher, i hook him through the nose and trim his tail. they live a while like that.