Shad

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by camochris2, Sep 16, 2007.

1. camochris2

camochris2 New Member

State:
    nebraska city nebraska
    i was wondering how you guys hook your shad so they stay on in the storng current any ides would be great

2. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    In one nostril and out the other works good.

3. Pipe Rat

Pipe Rat Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I usually hook 'em through the back just make sure you leave enough hook exposed and there are not any scales on the hook point.

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    If I'm using them for cut bait, I hook them through the bottom jaw and up through the skull. Pins their mouth shut so they don't spin in the current so bad. I don't usually fish them live in strong current, but when I fish them live hook them the way Ferrarri said or I put the hook in their mouth and out a nostril so they can "breath". Or I hook them through the eye sockets - just below the eyeball without putting their eyes out, in one side and out the other. Good Luck!

Branden

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Me too......With the gama circles it keeps them from hooking back into the hook, only draw back useing them. Works the best for me.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Live shad I hook either up through the bottom jaw and out the nose, or, more recently, through the front of the eye socket - turns out you can put a hook right through the eye socket without killing them or really even slowing them down much.

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    In strong current i only use cut shad. The head hooked through the eye sockets holds well. Also use fillets.

8. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    In strong current, I use the head only, hooked through the eyes. In lesser current areas where spinning is not a problem, I cut the tail off the shad from the vent angled back a little, then hook through the eyes. The big blues seem to appreciate a bigger bite.:smile2:

9. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    On those rare occasions that I use Shad, I'll rig the live one's hooked right below, and behind the dorsal fin. I'll place the hook just above the lateral line which doesnt kill them. Using dead shad for bait, I'll run the hook through one edge of the bait, and run it back through at at the bottom of the bait to prevent the short strikes. (Just like a Texas Rigged plastic worm)