Shad

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by tryin2learn, Aug 30, 2007.

1. tryin2learn

tryin2learn New Member

State:
    missouri
    i was wondering if you freeze shad the day before u leave are they just as good as fresh???

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    A qualified "No".

The fish probably don't care, but freezing anything destroys cells, and changes texture. In the case of shad, they become soft, bordering on mushy, and don't stay on the hook very well.

3. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    yeah they dont work to hot after they been frozen catch em fresh, and in my opinion catch them from the boday of water where your fishin

4. tryin2learn

tryin2learn New Member

State:
    missouri
    i always try to caththem in the body im fishing but never have luck doing so..
    what do u recomend me to do.. i have an aboundt supply near home but the river i fish is an hour away...

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Ice 'em down...they'll keep for a couple of days...just don't freeze them.

If there are no shad where you fish, then those fish may be accustomed to another food, which you might consider as bait. Open some stomachs, and check it out.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Dave is right - if you're not equipped to keep them alive, put them on ice AS SOON AS YOU CATCH THEM and they'll stay "fresh enough" for at least a day or two. As long as they still bleed a little when you cut them, they're probably fresh enough. Once the eyes start to cloud over, it's time to toss them out.

Oh -- and don't put them *directly* on ice -- put them in a zip-lock bag on the ice, no water or anything in the bag, just shad.

7. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use a food saver to freeze my shad and skipps and I think they come out almost as good as fresh. they still bleed I dont think they are any softer than when they were first cought for shad and skipps both are pretty fragile to start with. but if you need to freeze use a vaccume sealer makes wonders freezing fresh bait fish. for I like to do most cattin in the winter and bait is hard to come by so I dont even try I make sure I stock up in the spring when I can get Big skipps and through the summer when I get skipps in the 8 inch range.

8. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Get a bait tank for shad and transport them. They do well in a round container with an air filter. I don't use those but I bought a small grey plastic tote from Wally World for $3.00. I have kept shad alive in that in the middle of summer for up to 8 hours. Of course I would add fresh water at times but never put an aireator to them. Go to the library. There will be some good posts there to help you out. Good luck, and good fishing.