Shad

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by jconna, Jan 28, 2010.

1. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Doesn't seem to be alot of action so I suppose I'll ask a question :) So what methods and bait do you use when fishing for shad during their run?

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use small jigs 1/16 oz or less,(shad darts) Can't go wrong with yellow. Another good bait is small silver or gold spoons. I really like fishing a combination shad dart and spoon. A company named Nungesser makes the combo shad rigs. Sabiki rigs work also. My favorite is by a company called Hayabusa in size 6 and 8, white ones with red heads. Remember you need to get them down deep in the water colume so put a 1/4 oz or so bullet weight 18 inches in front of the jig or spoon. Some days the shad are closer to the top and want a fast retrieve and other days they are down deep and want it slow. Watch what others are doing that are having success.

Fly rods are excellent for shad. A 6 or even and 8 weight if you plan on casting clousers at dusk for the stripers that are around also. Small obnoxious bright flies are killers. Somedays yellow, somedays pink, and somedays it doesn't matter. Again use a fast sinking tip line. Cast sideways to the current, count to 5-8 letting the line sink and then start stripping the line back in. There are days the fly rod guys way outfish the spinning rod guys. For stripers White or Yellow Clousers will work. Shad sometimes will be in the river but not bite if the water is below 54. When its 60 degrees and you see the shad dimple the surface, its on and they will be jumping in the boat. By the time the water hits 68 or so for 3 or 4 days, the shad spawn out and disappear faster than they arrived.

I can already taste the Shad Roe fried in bacon grease. Yum Yum good. March 15 they are at the I 95 bridge in Richmond. By April 1 its on! Sometimes 100 fish days.

3. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Thanks for the in depth answer. Must say you're an absolute wealth of information helping me prepare for my trip down. Thank you very much

4. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC

WOW!! That's got to be incredible!

5. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Captain Hugh on Thursday and on our own Friday, Sat, and half a day Sunday. Weather looks nice....Can't wait

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Can't go wrong with Hugh. He's been texting me pics of fish almost daily since early March. He knows what he is doin to me! I gotta get back down there!

7. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Yeah I use all of the above, shad darts ect...when they are there you can pull a fish up on every hook on the Sabiki....it's crazy fun. I got skunked this weekend I guess the river was too high.
    Good luck
    David

8. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    That 100 fish is per hour:wink:

9. Triple-L

Triple-L New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'll be on the river Sat. and Sunday myself........Give me a shout on channel 68 (triple-L) -----will have plenty of bait if you need some:)

10. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Triple-L.....I think I might have seen you on the river. Do you fish out of a pontoon? Certainly would have said hello but my uncle doesn't have a radio in his boat yet. We had a really good day with Hugh (mostly stripers but they were fun). Guessing the cold front played some havoc afterwards because things slowed down quite a bit for us over the next couple of days. Had no problem at all catching bait in the gill net and have no complaints other than we still had a heck of a time getting our anchor to grab in that wind. Sorry to anyone on here that we floated up a little close to.....Wasn't intentional....That anchor would sometimes drag 200 yards before we'd need to pull in and try all over again. Overall a great trip though.