shad

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by outdoors1988, Dec 5, 2009.

1. outdoors1988

outdoors1988 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    What depth are the shad at this time of year. First year really fishing in the cold. Didn't know where to start. Any help would be great. Thanks Josh

2. JoshFisher

JoshFisher New Member

State:
    Tinker AFB, Oklahoma
    over here at thunderbird you can still catch plenty from the bank seein as how the surface temp of the water is still 50 plus degrees....

i see um sittin at about 20 ft during the day but with my 6 foot net i cant catch um =(

good luck lol

3. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    If in a boat use your locator or just look for the gulls on the water. Even if the gulls aren't actively feeding they will usually be sitting over them. Lately I've been netting them in pretty deep water about 20 to 30 feet.

4. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    where are you at? in the river i've been getting them in about 18ft deep but when i can't finde them there ive been hitting the lake and gettting them anywhere from 30 to about 55ft deep right now, water temp is 51 now, and should drop some more, the birds are good indicators but not always a sure thing,alot of times there resting and searching also. good luck

5. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i was out on the lake 2 dyas ago, the water temp is now down to 44 in spots and it has dropped somethun feirce, which is great, im sitting here looking out the window and im watching the shad out here at the mouth of duck creek i mean watching the gulls diving all around im betting its getting a early shad shock, with the little guys comig up to the surface