shad

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by boyd79, Nov 3, 2009.

1. boyd79

boyd79 New Member

State:
    illinois
    went too clinton spillway to check out the water level, looked down and there were thousands of shad. went got my net and filled up 7 gallon bags. im good for bait all winter.:big_smile:

2. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    good show Chris, they may not be there next time. get um while their hot baby.

3. boyd79

boyd79 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i,ve been tryin to get bait for weeks, all over and clinton is the only place i,ve seen shad thick this year. but my boat motor blew up so im throwin from the bank till tax time. i,ve never seen so many shad in my life.:eek:oooh:

4. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    when things get cooler, shad tend to tighten up into a ball. they will move together as one mass. the reason is they generate heat as their bodies move againts each other. sometimes they'll make a clacking sound underwater. when they are close to the suface, and get spooked, they will "fry the surface", which looks like someone threw a handful of pebbles in the water. thats the best way i can disscribe it. when they do this sometimes you and hear them clack together. its a dinner bell to fish. they wont be so easy to catch as it gets colder, so get um while you can.

5. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I will call you when I need some. Sounds like you got enough to share. I get mine in the hot ditch all winter. Finally easy to get. Nice to see them all schooled up huh.

6. boyd79

boyd79 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i got no prob. share,n bait:big_smile: go,n tonight to help my dad and gramps get some too. they won,t take mine rather get them there self. stubern old men.:smile2:

7. DRW

DRW New Member

State:
    IL
    Just a heads up guys but its illegal to use any kind of net to catch bait in the clinton lake tailwaters from the dam to the route 10 bridge.seen them write tickets for it before dont want to see anybody get a ticket. check out #38 site specific sportfishing regulations in the fishing regs

8. boyd79

boyd79 New Member

State:
    illinois
    there was a sign last year but its gone now, just thought they took it down. i used get bait there all the time. then seen a sign the last 2 years. some one prob got it.:angry: