shad

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by hawgmaster, Oct 7, 2009.

1. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    im looking for a good spot to net up some decent size shad round the 4 in or bigger size around columbus. any help in locating a good spot would be apreciated. PM me if you would rather that. thanx all and tight lines.

2. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Good luck to you! If you do manage to find some place to get decent sized shad, don't be shy, pay it forward.:smile2:

I have been looking all season to no avail. I even tried a couple of Garretts' spots earlier this week, and came away empty handed. Unless you count the sardine size shad as decent. In that case, I hit the jackpot!:big_smile: The only luck I have had in getting shad is, on the Ohio. I know there are more, but I just can't seem to find them.

Then again, when i'm looking around here, I don't wish to take my boat. A lot of work just for bait. But, I did catch a half dozen really big ones at Alum in the start of last month. They were probably in the 8-10 inch range. But those 6 were the only decent ones I could find. Got them all on the same throw too.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you lived closer to me, I would get you some...I have a spot where I can only catch big ones 10 inches and up....

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you want to take a long drive, you can get them in the Marina at rocky fork lake if it is sunny out, cloudy days they dont seem to come in.

Also at times I have caught them by the 5 gallon bucket full at paint creek spillway.

Really any marina on central Ohio lakes should have shad, I would think.

5. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    "pay it forward" I like that :cool2: That's what brotherhood is all about

6. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    I get mine at Dillion Lake near Zanesville. During higher water they stack up in the spillway. It's about 45 mins drive for me.

7. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I catch shad at Deer Creek Marina and both boat ramps, most are 3 to 4 inches but usually get some 8-10 also. I have caught a lot lake side of the dam also.

8. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Man that must be heaven! Wish I could find em like that here!

9. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    I can vouch for the shad Jack gets. GARGANTUAN is about the only word to describe them. Biggest shad i've ever seen. Just the heads alone probably weigh a pound or so.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  10. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    with them letting the water out of the lake and getting some water through the spillway,i bet you can probably get quite a bit down there.you can throw net them from the second handicap fishing spot farthest from the dam on down.i have had good luck in front of the riffles at the tree line there.
    if your not in dire need of shad and just want to stock up for next year,when the lake fills up and the shad start heading up the creek,you can get bucket fulls in the creek above the lake.

11. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    sorry to say i really dont know where those spots are i really dont "get out" much when it comes to new spots like that but i will look into it.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  12. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    just let me know whhen you have some i can come and get them!! im off on the weekends. ill come with a cooler full of ice.