Shad??

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by boombalaty, Oct 5, 2009.

1. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Is anyone having any luck finding shad this time of year. With a few exceptions I have had a rough time finding them at all since spring. Any tips?

2. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    Matt, I caught about 30 in one throw on sunday, the shad are out off the banks, the water was about 20 foot where they were swimning, I saw schools all day they swam by me were I was ancored up

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Matt, You might try shallow on sunny afternoons. That's where we found them this weekend at Truman Lake, and a week ago at Olathe Lake. At Olathe they were at the outer edge of the weedline along the flats there. Probably enjoying the sun warmed shallow water.

4. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Yep think shallow and wind blown banks on the lakes.Shad are not strong swimmers so on windy days they will be in the back of coves in the shallows,or on the flats.Cats are there to:wink:

5. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I tried Olathe on Sat afternoon and got skunked on the shad. I tried the flats and the waterfall but only got a couple of tiny gills:sad2:

6. outdoorsaddict

outdoorsaddict New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've been catching a couple dozen 4-6" shad per throw at Cheney Lake on the East boat ramp. It is fairly busy ramp and pretty well protected from the wind.

7. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I filled a 5gal. bucket Fri. at Tuttle in 3 throws. The first I got about 20 and the second about 3/4 of my bucket and the third about 50 more. I caught them in about 6in to a 15in of water. They were out of the wind on a east bank. the water temp there was 76 degrees. 50ft from were we got them the water temp dropped to 66.4. We ended wiht a handful of nice eaters lost a few bigger fish, all on heads. They wouldn't hit any other part of the shad. Oh ya it was 2:30 in the afternoon (hottest part of Friday) when found them that shallow.

8. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Still catching shad on the boat ramps on Milford. There between 3 and 4+ inches.

9. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Sorry I forgot, ares were 6 to 8inches long.

10. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    Does anyone know if the shad are still surfaceing Oct. 11, 2009 now that the water temp is starting to drop? Thanks

11. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    The gulls were congregated, diving and feeding in the thousands just of the ramps at Milford today, so I would reckon they are(?)

12. billyum2

billyum2 New Member

State:
    Topeka,ks
    I was on the Dragoon Friday and was able to net shad in the 3-4 in. range with no problem , caught a few pan sized channel cat.

Yep the water is cold as all get out and the dragoon is shallow up the creek a ways

13. leatherpuke

leatherpuke New Member

State:
    Kansas
    We had no problem finding them at milford yesterday. Look in the protected coves.

14. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Welcome to the BOC. Thank you for your service to this great nation.

Semper Fi

15. Circlehook Jester

Circlehook Jester New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Ron, I went to the Wakarusa boat ramp west of Clinton lake last night. I put the boat in and shad were everywhere. I threw my net in and caught plenty for the night, right out in the middle. I fished till about 0330 hours and there were shad spatting the surface and showing up all over my fish finder. Only caught one really nice channel cat on a deep bend in the river there.

16. Tunnel Rat

Tunnel Rat New Member

State:
    Kansas
    this weather has shad all over delaware too cats love them SEMPER FI