Shad

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Bigmagic, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Any of you guys in the KC area getting any big shad? I have seen some giants come from there and it would be worth a trip to get some. Let me know, I'm forever spoiled by those James river monster shad. Thanks!

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Smithville lake is where I usually get mine. Haven't been since January, but I loaded up pretty good then. I've been meaning to get out there this week and get some but I hate that lake in this wind we've had lately. If I head over there this weekend I'll let you know how they're running.

3. paddle

paddle New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you get big ones let us know. When I go I usually get some but very few over 4 inches..--paddle:0a17:

4. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    A guy came down here from KC one time with some large shad he got from the Missouri river. I get plenty in the 8 to 10" range but I'm looking for some monsters. Thanks

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Branden and I went out last night and netted some shad at smithville. I guess maybe around 12-13 inches our biggest might of been. As far shad in the missouri river I never have much luck finding the big ones. I guess that and I'm too busy trying to get a carp to jump into the boat or in the cast net for bait.

6. ace.clarke

ace.clarke New Member

State:
    Warrenton, MO
    I went out to fish the Mo river at at the mouth of the Gasconade... We had no luck with the catfish, but we did notice a lot of surface hits from what we thought were shad... We threw out a few lines with bobbers and small pieces and worms and caught around 60 8-10" fish... we thought they were shad and later found out that they are Goldeye... and have teeth...

Does anyone know if these make good bait?

7. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Goldeye make great catfish bait!

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    mooneye,goldeye's and skipjacks are probably the 3 best baits out there.

9. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I do agree with you on that

10. lbaker3

lbaker3 New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I've been filling up on shad at Perry lake. Underneth the bridge on the
    north end. I have gotten a mix of small to large(10-12").
    Where does a person throw for shad at Smithville? Around the bridge
    on the north end?

11. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    You can usually do pretty good in the coves off of the main lake. Just under the E bridge by Crow's Creek landing I've done pretty well in the summer.

12. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I agree aswell. I've caught some big blues and flatheads off cut goldeye.

13. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Just drive around in the coves tell your screen goes black. There in there for sure and a heck of a lot closer then Perry.

14. cannady4

cannady4 New Member

State:
    il
    I have a big problem, mabe u guys can help out. I have recently moved away from the mississippi. (63 miles to be exact) Now my new location has a few SMALL rivers around, but none are big enough for a marina or even a dock. I dont own a boat but i cant seem to find shad anywhere. Anyone who knows anything knows the cats are where the bait is. How can I get bait without driving for 2 hours? (round trip) Rivers are the north and south Fabious in case anyone lives close to them. In Knox County MO Anyhelp would be helpful at this point. Thanks