Shad

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by preshrd3cpy, Jul 17, 2009.

1. preshrd3cpy

preshrd3cpy New Member

State:
    Calhoun,Tennessee
    Ok little bit of a dumb question but what would be the best way to catch bait fish (shad/bluegill/skipjack)? I have fished for cats before and always used chicken liver, but I am really getting into the sport and I want to catch some good size fish. I have noticed that everyone has there own way of fishing for the cats in there area, I would like for some tips that I could try. Most of my fishing was from a bank but today I got me a boat. What would be a good way of catching these wonderful fish, anchoring or drifting? The area I will mostly be fishing will be Watts Bar and the Hiwassee River, any help would be great. Thanks for the help!

2. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    most of the time if you can catch them when they are running a couple of generators at the dam it will push shad up against the wall and a regular dip net will work- make a fast stroke through the water!! skippies can be caught usually on some small twister tails and 1/16 or larger lead heads. i usually put at least two and sometimes have to go real heavy with weight !! they just like any other fish different presentation everyday! and bluegill can be caught on anything!! i have the best luck ion meal worms and crickets!! im tryn to find some water with bullheads!!:big_smile:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009

3. preshrd3cpy

preshrd3cpy New Member

State:
    Calhoun,Tennessee
    thank you sir will give it a try

4. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Chad summed it up pretty good there..I'm afraid I can't add anything to that..My experience has been that skipjack works the best for all three species of cats..But I use all of those baits such as shad and bluegill and even liver and chicken breast..I like having multiple poles rigged up in different ways with lots of different bait to pinpoint what they'll be hittin..With catfish you can anchor and put out multiple lines all at once or drift..I prefer anchoring along a steep ledge that goes supper deep real fast..Now I don't know your area but keep reading on the site and you'll pick up the basics real quick..Good luck catching them cats..

5. preshrd3cpy

preshrd3cpy New Member

State:
    Calhoun,Tennessee
    Les thank you sir I will give it a try.

6. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC David. A veritable storehouse of knowledge. Stay safe and stick a big 'un!!!:wink:

7. gruffy911

gruffy911 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey I noticed you didn"t say anything about Chickamauga. I fished the Hiwassie in the spring for crappie, but have been fishing the lake up above where the Hiwassie runs into Chickamauga latley and been doing pretty good on the chicken livers. I been wanting to try the shad minnows also for some really big fish. I havn't been to Watts Bar in along time and then it was on the lake. I heard you can't get to the area right below the damn to dip minnows anymore, so I was thinking of buying a throw net and trying to get them that way. You can buy the large shad minnows at Hamiltons shop on Hwy. 58 in Chatt. but they are exspensive. Let me know what you come up with. I tried to send you a private message but I havn't been on here long enough and it won't let me.

8. preshrd3cpy

preshrd3cpy New Member

State:
    Calhoun,Tennessee
    I have never been fishing there before but Iam willing to try.Thanks for the tips.... Also you gotta have like 10 post before they let you PM.

Welcome to the BOC :wink::big_smile:

9. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Hey Dave, welcome to our little fishing community. Learn to throw a castnet. Doesn't have to be an expensive net, just one of the wally world nets. Start out with a 4 footer and learn that good, then if you want to move up to a larger one. In our library (http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38576) You'll find many articles on how to throw one. If you already know how, then of course you won't need that part. But if you're fishing a lake, try in the coves and feeder creeks for shad. Watch the water and you should be able to tell where to find them. At night they are much more obvious to me. Get into them at night and you'll think they're fixin to fill your boat they jump so much. Another good place to find them is right at any boat ramp at night. For some reason they seem to gather there. For skipjacks, they're much easier to find in a river in my opinion. Find a place where there is a good bit of current and lot's of shad. If they're there, you should be able to catch them on 1/16 to 1/8 oz jigs with 2 and 3 inch white or yellow curly tails or grubs as they're called sometimes. Sabiki rigs work good too, but you'll have to decipher the law for yourself about those. I've talked to game wardens that tell you it's both legal and not legal. So you'll have to decide. But they do work well when nothing else seems to. But fish right in the hardes part of the current or just along the edges. If they're there, it won't take long to find out. Another great place to find them like someone else said is below a dam. Fish from right in the boils to where the current seems to fade away downstream and if they're there you'll fill a cooler in no time. We usually do our best during the winter at our local steamplant. At this time of year they'll wear your arms out some days. We catch them at all times of the day or night near the dam here. We stock our freezer during the winter months. Best if you can vacuum seal them, but zip locks work OK too. But once you thaw them, they are done in my opinion. Just too soft after that. In my opinion, skipjack heads and gut pockets are hands down the best bait there is for Blue Cats. Before I joined the BOC, I was a liver, crawdad and worm fisherman. But after reading here about skipjacks, I tried them and have not looked back yet. Hope all this helps. Again, welcome to the BOC.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  10. preshrd3cpy

preshrd3cpy New Member

State:
    Calhoun,Tennessee
    Whistler, thank you sir for the info it will be a great help. I will be going out tonight and will give it a shot. I bought a cast night its 3.5 ft I will be fishing the Hiwassee River next to B&B. I went there yesterday and spoke with owner and saw some pictures he had large fish brought out of the waters. Again Whistler thank you!!

11. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    David I didn't say it before but welcome to the BOC brother. I'm sure you will learn a lot here as I have learned way more than I can remember. As everyone has said skipjack are good bait and catching them is more fun than using them for bait some times when they are running good you can hook two at a time. As for bluegills I like to take a fly rod out with a small chartruse popper bug early in the morning or late in the evening. I can fill my live well quite easily in a very short time with gills that in my opinion are about the right size for bait. I haven't had a chance to do a lot of fishing until recently and have been having some decent luck.