Shad

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by jacomo, May 18, 2009.

1. jacomo

jacomo New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Okay got the old cast net out this weekend and practiced up in the backyard. Then headed over to below Blue Springs Lake at the little blue. I got 15 shad in the bucket plus turned loose a crappie and a striped bass! Now keeping these little dudes alive was a chore.

Im sure this has been discussed here before, but what are your alls feelings towards frozen cut bait Vs dead cut bait not frozen and obviously the best live fresh cut bait?

I dont have a live well on the boat and figured that freezing some untill use would be fine, but now am reading that they are as good only hours after they die and hardly any good after freezing?!?!

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    If you don't have a proper bait tank for keeping shad alive, the next best thing is to put them in a zip-lock bag in an ice-filled cooler immediately after catching them (not an hour later, not in a livewell till they die, *immediately* in the bag and on ice). You can use them for 24 to 48 hours and they'll work just about as good as live. Once the eyes start going cloudy, it's time to get fresh bait.

The problem with frozen shad is that it turns to mush when it thaws and won't stay on the hook.

My personal view is that I'll either have fresh live shad or I won't go fishing. Maybe that doesn't work for everyone, but I go out fully prepared to spend a couple of hours catching bait if necessary. Haven't called off a trip yet due to lack of bait, but definitely have had to work more than 3 hours to find it before.

3. jacomo

jacomo New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sounds great, Thank you! I had'nt heard to put them directly on the ice, but makes sense. Sounds like this might be my solution til I get a livewell or a new boat with one.

4. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Use lil over 1/3 to 1/2 of a white or blue (I perfer White) Plastic barrle end, just cut it out it ,holds about 35 gal. Then get a 12volt water pump BP and other places sell em BP has the bait saver around 35 bucks. Pump fresh water in form the area ya get the shad and set the pump hose and bait attachments so the water sprays some and swirls. I keep up tp 25 -6 to 8 inch shad in good shape all night somtimes. Also get a lil stock mineral salt and add 1/4 of a cup to the water. I got a 50 lb bag last year still got half a bag. A lil work and ya got a fine bait tank that is removable and great to have on any boat. Also take the foam filter out of the bait pump bottom and just pump water out and in the get the shad purge out of the tank. The filter is bad about clogging with purge. Any ? just PM me glad to help a BOC brother out. I am such a cheap skate :wink:

5. jacomo

jacomo New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Great thanks! I will do this! There are plastic 55gal barrel for sale very close to me, thanks again