SHAD???

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by ranman92, Mar 15, 2009.

1. ranman92

ranman92 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Well I have been trying a bunch of different spots to throw my casting net in the norwalk area and I am catching some but they are all about 2 or 3 inches long. Just wondered if anyone in northern ohio had any good spots to catch some big shad which is what I am looking for THANKS!!!!

2. Vito the Catman

Vito the Catman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ranman92
    I asked the same question about skip jack, I did not get any response either! I guess because we are newbees.

I got a few shad at Cowan Lake yesterday, but less than 10. Cowan lake is way down on the water level though, they are making some new docks on the shallow end of the lake. I did catch a bunch of blue gill though.

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Its not becuase your newbees bro its probably becuase they are starting to fish and are not on here as much anymore or there isnt anyone from your area near you.

Youll find on th BOC that those that do get shad or skippies will let you know.

Welcome to the BOC both of you

4. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    yes if there is somebody that can help you they will dont matter if your newbies or not welcome to the boc

5. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ive been quite a few different places around central ohio and cant seem to find any good schools or them. I can usually get alot at alum creek but havent seen hardly any so far this year!

6. ranman92

ranman92 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Yeah it says I am new but I have been a member for awhile I just don't post much cuz most the people on here know more than me. Last year a guy named loan wizard gave my dad and I about 6 bags of the big shad we just had to drive to him to get them which was unbelievable of him. I was very greatful he gave us that shad. He said he would just be catching fresh and gave us the stuff he had frozen all winter and we were more than happy to have it. Anyway thanks for all the comments and if there is anywhere on the northern half of the state even if its by columbus anybody let me know and I would appreciate it. I fish the Neocats circuit and I need to have shad by April 11th our 1st tournament thanks again to everyone who comments.

7. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Randy I post alot and everyone knows more than me:smile2:, I still like to use hotdogs:smile2::tounge_out:

8. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Doesn't everybody:eek:oooh::smile2::smile2:

9. jmjackson333

jmjackson333 New Member

State:
    Spencer, O
    Randolph, you know that you and your old man wont be without shad at Spencer on the 11th! I will certainly hook you up! And I wont trade for beef spleen!!!!:smile2:

Thats right folks, those two twelve pounders in his avatar were caught using BEEF SPLEEN!!!!! Well, they say that beef spleen is the "new" hotdog!!!!!:wink:

10. ranman92

ranman92 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    thanks justin if u find anymore hotspots let me know i will definitely go wherever I need to. It's been a rough winter for my old man he hasn't been in that good of health he puts on a good front though. He won't give up neocats til he dies I will guaruntee that.

11. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    ranman92, this is what I can tell you so far. I'm in central Ohio fishing Alum creek and Delaware, I haven't got my boat out yet , but I've caught several so far.The problem I've found you can't count on them always being in the same place - but it seems I can alway catch a few at boat ramps. Last week while fishing Alum I landed over 50 in 3 casts with the net - this was right on the bank in about 4' of water. These all were the normal size I look for 4 to 6 inch.Went back the next weekend with no luck, I should have posted the info - but I didn't - not because I didn't want to share , I just didn't post it. The area I did well it seemed they were in the same spot for least 2 hours - weather was warmer and time frame was 1:00 to 3:pM . Casting only about 6 to 7' foot from the bank. I actually threw them back in because I wasn't getting any bites. The boat ramp areas still have very low water levels but I continue to catch 4 or 5 in about 20 minutes - not that productive but enough to fish with. Just last Saturday I caught a 8" shad in about 2' of water along with 4 other shad in the 5" range casting from the boat ramp at Delaware, for this area the 8" shad is a very large shad. In deeper water 8' or deeper I've had no luck at all. The best advise I could give is to keep casting where ever you can and for me the boat ramps will produce a few. For those fishing my areas I will be sure to pass along the info next time I have success catching a bunch. I'm always willing to share my shad, if I know someone will take them for sure.

12. jmjackson333

jmjackson333 New Member

State:
    Spencer, O
    Randy I didn't know that Carl had been ill. I'm sorry to hear that. Tell him that I hope he feels well enough to come to Spencer on the 11th. I miss him and his wisecracks. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again. I MISS ALL OF THE NEOCATS CREW!!!!!!:sad2::0a4:

13. hhca

hhca New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hi everyone wanted to say i went and threw the net around at tappan and nothing at all....couln't catch a thing.. i know what you mean ranman need to get some for the big opener everyone planning on fishing the ise breaker on the 4th ??

14. ranman92

ranman92 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    justin he isn't in that bad of health. He has been having a couple scopes and things of that nature cuz they were looking for cancer but they didn't find any. He actually has enphysema which makes him cough all the time, but it isn't like it's life threatening or anything. I talked to him last night and he said he is feeling better than he has all winter and he was telling me how much he likes his new boat. Like I said it really isn't a big deal he hasn't been deathly sick or anything like that so he will definitely be at all the tournaments. See you guys soon on the 11th is the ice breaker not the 4th i would hate to see you harrison hills boys travel on the wrong weekend.

15. crazycat1

crazycat1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hello all,
    Here in about 1 month I have a spot where you can throw a net and get a five gallon bucket full...1 throw. I will post this info as soon as they are available.
    Paul

16. jmjackson333

jmjackson333 New Member

State:
    Spencer, O
    Randy, Thats good that there isn't anything really seriously wrong with your Dad! My Dad has emphysemia also. So I know what you mean. My Dad is 67 and in really great health as he cuts firewood everyday to sell by the road and he still farms full time with my brother and I. But it is so crazy watching him age and get a little slower and frailer each year. Kind of freaks you out. You and I are lucky to be able to spend as much time doing stuff with our fathers as much as we do.

As for the shad, they are still deep at Spencer and Welly, I haven't tried Shreve yet. And the last time I was at Avon, there were no shad to snag!!:sad2:

17. ranman92

ranman92 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    that is cool justin we get to spend so much time with our dads your dad sounds like a hell of a guy I am shocked he doesn't fish at a tourney with you sometime. I will hold u to given up some shad on the 11th. And also I am eagerly awaiting the info on the spot to fill up a 5 gallon bucket on 1 throw wherever it is I will go there.

18. jmjackson333

jmjackson333 New Member

State:
    Spencer, O
    That was at the hot water discharge in Avon by the power plant, but the last two times that I have been up there, no shad!!!:crazy:

19. ranman92

ranman92 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    yeah i know but when u find another good spot let me know and I will meet you there.. And also I will give you some money for some shad if you want. I don't like feeling like a freeloader. LATER

20. ranman92

ranman92 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    yeah but let me know when you find another good one and I can mmet you there. Also if you want some money for some I will surely pay I hate feeling like a freeloader. LATER