shad

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catfishfever1, Jan 20, 2009.

1. catfishfever1

catfishfever1 New Member

State:
    kansas
    could onyone help me out with getting some shad here on grand lake i can catch them just fime in the spring and summer but they are whippen me here in the winter time

2. Randy Jones

Randy Jones New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I don't know but if it is like kerr we get a lot of our bait right on the edge of the river channel with a 7-8 foot net, find them with your locater and try to throw right on top of them. Our best luck is on steep banks 25-30 foot deep. Hope this might help you out.

3. catfishfever1

catfishfever1 New Member

State:
    kansas
    i will try that thanks

4. DHR

DHR New Member

State:
    sallisaw,oklahoma
    ditto on what randy said.

the only thing i might add is: find a topographical map of some sort and see if you have an old river channel or creek channel running through the lake you fish and target the deep spots...............especially if you can find the bends and turns-----start around those.

5. grandfisher

grandfisher Member

State:
    missouri
    Hi Justin. I agree with the previous two posts. I fish Grand a lot. Well, actually, It's the only lake I fish. I've been catching very large quantities of shad the last couple of weeks. I don't know what part your fishing, but if you can get up to Twin Bridges there are HUGE schools of shad between highway 60 and the railroad bridge almost all winter. If you don't have one, I would highly recommend you get a 6 or 8 foot radius net. An 8 footer will set you back about 100 bucks, but it will soon pay for itself! I don't know how many times I've been the only one able to catch shad in the wintertime at Twin Bridges. It's fun to watch everybody frantically throw a 3 foot net and come up empty and then ask them if they want a bucket of shad. The key to catching shad in the winter time is of course finding them in the places mentioned in the previous posts and a fast sinking net. If you have to substitute a smaller net, try doubling or almost doubling the about of lead weights on it. Don't wear yourself out throwing the net. Wait until you graph a good solid school of shad. If you fish the main lake, it would probably be worth your time to run up to Twin Bridges and catch some easy shad for the lake fishing. Good Luck.

6. catfishfever1

catfishfever1 New Member

State:
    kansas
    thank u for the info i am not very far from twin bridges i have a 6 foot radius net so i will run up and try it tomorrow.

7. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    They get tuff to find here to this time of year.

8. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    Sometimes on Oologah I find them in the pond areas on my lake contours GPS maps There is a couple of creek channels that seem to hold them when it is the first deep area coming from a flat. Almost always they are at least 23-30 feet deep so tie extra rope on your net and let it get all the way to the bottom. And like they said an 8 foot radius 16 foot diameter seems to get them when no else is with the smaller nets.