Shad?? where to find em??

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by TX Fisherman, May 11, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    wheres the best place to find shad, are they possible to catch with a dip net?

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've had my best luck below locks and dams. We went last Tuesday and there were millions of them. You could dip them by the net full and went today to the same place and couldn't find any. Strange creatures they are! :confused2: :big_smile:

3. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    About all dams in the southern untied states should have them. I have always been able to find them even in the main channel at night. Nothing beats a cast net either. IF you don't know how to use one it is worth your buck and your money

4. HappyDudeSr

HappyDudeSr New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have not had much luck with a dip net, however it is much easier with a cast net. Go out and buy one. A cast net is not expensive. The last one I bought was under $20. There are some articles in the archives on how to throw. Practice in your back yard. It doesn't take long to get pretty good with it. You want to be able to throw close to cover, but not get hung up. Then go huntin them. I have found them below dams, around docks, and boat launches, even in back water slews near lilly pads. Having the cast net will allow you to catch a variety of baitfish easily and quickly. Bein the frugal fella that I am, when the net gets too old or just too many holes, I cut the weights off the bottom. Now ya got a bunch of 3/4-1 oz slip weights depending on the size net ya bought.

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    caught some gizzard shad with a dipnet last week, but it was really difficult. only caught a couple, then these kids who were playing with their dad's dipnet started bringing us shad.
    i think the castnet is the way to go, hands down.

6. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    yes i have a cast net but i didnt know how to throw it, as a matter of fact someone taught me rite after i posted this thread...

so below dams and near boat docks?

7. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    my experience with catching shad is to look around flowing or deeper water during the day around structure. At night they're easy to catch around lights (docks,piers). on calm days you can see the schools...look for the shimmer on the water and sling your net.

8. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    be careful in current, yesterday, my net got sucked into a pump at a dam. tore a hole in it. 20 dollars wasted!:embarassed:

9. KingCat

KingCat New Member

State:
    Olathe Kansas
    Any feeder channel to your lake "should" have shad right now. One or two throws of a 4-5 foot cast net should get you more than enough shad for the whole day. Probably much more than enough.

10. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    Try boat ramps early in the mornings on these Texas lakes. Shad are attracted to those lights near them. Or should I say their prey is. As the day progresses try out from coves in about 10' of water.