Shad vs. Skipjack

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by blindfly69, May 22, 2006.

1. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    well i have used just about everything and was wondering if you all think that shad outproduce skipjack. im wondering because around here the action is kinda slow and was thinkin about huntin for some skips. anybody know how to catch these things? i know a few places to go but not the technique

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Generally speaking, I think that skipjack will outproduce shad, possibly because it's much oilier. But it's also possible that the oiliness of shad can vary across the country. I base this on statements that shad in Kansas are much oilier than shad here in Arkansas. I've never fished in Kansas, so I can't comment on their shad, but the shad here in Arkansas aren't very oily at all.

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I have had times when the cats would only hit skipjacks and also times when they wanted shad. If I were going to try to catch skipjacks, I would try sabiki rigs, they are very effective. Vern

4. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    What is a skipjack?I live in Oklahoma do we have them here?

5. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I use both skipjack and shad. In my opinion and experience the skipjack is a superior bait to shad. Both produce fish but the skipjace is better.

Fishinfool, I know there are skipjace in the Arkansas River and it's in Ok. Probably other bodies of water as well. The skipjace is a fresh water herring that are school fish and feed savagely on small minnows and shad.

6. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    People I know didn't call them skipjack,now I know what yall are talking about.Thank you for clearing that up for me.

7. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I try to use both shad and skips. Both are good bait.:big_smile:

8. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    at the time which ever the cats are feeding on lol.. but i would go with skippys myself

9. keithcatfish

keithcatfish New Member

State:
    Maryville, TN
    If both shad and skips are fresh, I don't think there is much difference. However, skips can be frozen and defrosted much better than shad. Shad tend to fall apart when defrosted.

10. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    when you unthaw the shad dont use heat thats what destroys them. myself i use cold tap water and let it unthaw that way. as a matter getting ready to do this this evening...dont put the water directly on them use a bucket and put the bags inton the water..

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Jason, you may have a different variety of shad where you live. Here in Arkansas, back when I tried freezing shad, I either let them thaw in the cooler, or at most, put them in a bucket with some river water. The larger the shad, the better it froze, but even a shad 8"-12" long would have red, mushy, funky smelling flesh after being frozen one time; with smaller shad, the guts would fall away as you picked them up, and they would have to be hooked through the bony part of the head to keep them on the hook. Even after hooking them through the head, the body often simply fell away.

12. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    we have threadfin and american shad here.might be different but thats how i do mine. and it seems to work. tried putting a little with them when freezing yet? just an idea maybe..

13. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    try using a food saver vacuum sealer to package/freeze your shad. I've heard from several people that doing so, keeps them from getting mushy

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have never caught a fish on skipjack, I do have good luck with shad.

15. mudkat

mudkat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i perfure skip jack although shad is pretty good to

16. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i think i'll stick to my shad. they have caught fish and i find them easy to catch. so i dont think im gonna go after skipjack anytime soon

17. countrygirl0569

countrygirl0569 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Keep using the shad, lol, underbunnies

18. Tellico00

Tellico00 New Member

State:
    Collierville, T
    I prefer skip jacks as they are oiler. I butterfly the skip leaving the 2 sides and gut pocket attached to the head. I remove the spine, dorsal and tail fin. This is great treat for Blues.

I catch skips either with a sabiki rig or a small curly tail jig. If I use jigs I will tie one on and another 12" to 18" above. Most times skips are found below a dam in rapid flowing water out of the dam or turbine. Whip the sabaki you cannot out run a skip jack

19. Katfever

Katfever New Member

State:
    nc
    I,ve tried jigging the sabiki rigs twice without any luck. Will shad hit the sabiki? Are skipjack in southern rivers? Thanks

20. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If I am wanting to use live bait (which is doing better around here right now) I'll stick with the shad. If we are talking cut bait, I'll use the skippies first.

Where I am fishing the shad and skippies are equally oily, but the skippies are bloodier. I just can't bring myself to use a 12"+ bait. I prefer to use live shad at 3" to 9".