Shad Vs Bluegill

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by goingfishin, Dec 23, 2007.

1. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    Everything I have heard and read says that in the spring you need to fish shallow and structure because that is where the cats go to feed. I had good luck with that this, this past spring. But everything I have read states to use cut shad. In the spring I don't catch my shad in the shallows I cauch them anywhere from ten to thirty feet of water. So that got me thinking that maybe this spring I will try bluegill in the shallows because they are always in the shallows where cats are hunting. Let me know your thoughts on this. Have any of you had better luck with bluegill or shad in the spring?

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Clifton you may be on to something. I have had good luck on both shad and gills in the spring. Post back on what you discover. How much did that big boy in your Avatar weigh?:wink:

3. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    The scale was bouncing between 25# and 31#s so I just called between 27 to 28#s. I think the scale I weighed him with is off because a few months prier I weighd a fish and the scale said 8# but when I weighed him in at the end of the tournament the offical scale said he weighed 11#. :big_smile:

4. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Now that's something to think about. I do know that a lot of winterkill shad end up in the shallows. Some shorelines get real ripe. Keep up the research, and keep us posted.

5. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    I've been finding some dead shad (10-12") on the shore already. Policed up almost a 5gal bucketful the other day, got a couple of pints of guts out of them. The coves have been freezing and thawing, and after each freeze, there'd be some big shad on the shore line. I won't make my "pickled" shad till spring. I just chunk'em up, soak'em in lake water in the fridge, oh yeah, I use my needlenose pliers to put'em on the hook.
    Like Yeppa said, comes spring after iceout, fish the shores where you find dead shad, the Cat's are in there feeding we always have good luck, specially on the Northern shore.

6. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    WORD TO THE WISE---Pass on chips, and dip at Jim's place.

7. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Mike, NO ONE gets to eat my shad guts, cept Catfish! Whad'you pickin on me for anyway:wink:
    Got me another 5gal bucket full again today, no $7-9 a pint shad for shad guts next spring.
    So far I've been lucky and haven't had to buy any for quite a few years. Couple of years ago they were only about a buck and a half.

8. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Hi Charlie and Calvin, you guy's survive Christmas okay? Happy New Year!

9. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I use shad when water temps fall below 70* and bream when above 70*.This method works well for us.-We also plan our trips on new moons.

10. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Not pickin' on ya' Jim. Just mouthin' off. How do you "pickle" shad anyway??

11. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    On the lake we fish, we have better luck catching big flatheads on live bluegils in a little shallower water. Many times fished on floats at night and very close to the shore.

12. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    It depends on what you are fishing for. I like bluegills because they are a quaranteed catch unlike shad which sometimes you have to chase down. Its always a good idea to take a thrownet with you and try both

13. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Mark, sorry, don't know why I called you Mike, must've been thinking of my other son, :smile2:. I knew ya was'nt pickin on me, more like harrasment:smile2:.
    Anyway, like I said, to "pickle" shad, I chunk'em up, soak'em in lake water in either an old butterdish (cover on), or in a jar and store them in my bait fridge. They will get "VERY RIPE", that's why I use my needle nose pliers to put it on the hook. In the spring, after iceout, that's what the Cats are eating, the bottom is covered with'em. It's happening right now too. This is the earliest shad kill I've ever seen on this lake in 32 years.

14. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Yeah this is startin' out like an ol' time winter. Oh no-----I'm starting to sound like my dad!!!

15. glbecker76

glbecker76 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    CJ that's a nice fish. So what part of the kansas river did you catch in on? North or South back east or west of highway 75?

16. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    On the north dide of the river about one mile east of hwy 75. (weir):big_smile:

17. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Jim, I'm still alive.......at least I think I am, new jobs been straight up kicking my ass. I haven't wet a line since Nov. and will have only hunted one time this season. Don't even have anyone to talk fishing with, still sorta pissy about Eric cashing in to soon. Something has got to change or I'm going to make alcoholism a sport..........not there yet:big_smile:. I'll be hollering at you this summer about a fishing trip, be sure and keep tabs on where the Wipers and 'eye's are being caught...........may not catch any fish, but we'll drive fast and take chances. Where the heck is Calvin anyway, did the refinery swallow him up??

Hope you and yours had a great Holiday season.

18. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Charlie,
    Nice to hear from you, same greeting to you and your family.
    Dang, ain't fished, and hunted only once. It's gonna be nice this weekend, comeon out, I'll be heading out on the Catoon. Got a whole bunch of big shad I policed up, have a bunch chunked and filleted, also some nice guts. Come fish with me:big_smile:
    I don't know about Calvin, ain't seen nor heard from him lately, think I phone him tomorrow and harrass him a little. You gonna be able to make Keystone this year? We're finally going after so long a time. With the motorhome, we'll probably be spending some time at Marion also.