Shad versus skipjack

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by gooboy, Nov 22, 2005.

1. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    what's your opinion. i have seen frozen skipjack outfish fresh shad many times on the red river in northwest louisiana. but my biggest to date has came off shad.

2. Schoe

Schoe New Member

State:
    Moline ILL.
    This has been my first year of using either one and personally haven't caught a fish on Skips yet but lots on shad. I don't have a good source of skips just what I could bum from friends in Ky and Tenn. Schoe

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've caught more off FRESH Shad than FROZEN Skips, dont know how it would turn out if I was using FRESH Skips.

4. Schoe

Schoe New Member

State:
    Moline ILL.
    Its funny, I was fishing right next to 'Stoney" from Henderson Ky. using Shad and frozen skips and was catching Blues on shad but not a bite on skips and Stoney caught 3 - 20 pounders in a row on Frozen skips. Go figure. This was on the Ohio River by Henderson.
    I haven't caught any Blues over 10 lbs. on the shad yet but will continue to keep trying. Schoe

5. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Ive caught most of my blues this year off of cut skipjack, but all my flatheads were caught on fresh shad.

6. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I have used both, but skips are my favorite. I do try to keep both in my bait freezer. I will try all types of bait to get a bite. I may have shad on a rod, skips on one, Dk's on one, liver on one, and so on! Just the way I fish!

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This year shad outproduced skips big time for me.

8. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i have had great sucess with both fresh shad and frozen skip jack the fish in my avatar was caught off frozen sk j guts i think it is more a prefrence than anything else that is just mho.

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    The freasher the better. No matter what the bait is. I just don't have much luck on frozen bait.

10. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    skip jack is my favorite bait for blues,I have always done better on skips then shad wether it be frozen or fresh, but i have never caught a flathead on skipjack and have caught plenty on fresh shad.

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks 2 my buddy H20, I now have 5 bags of skips in the freezer, I plan on tying them agin this winter, and spring.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Boy, that's a toughie! As much as I like skipjacks, I'm just as strong on fresh baits. For years, I went out on the Arkansas River (system) with nothing for bait but a couple of buckets of freshly caught shad. I didn't use skipjack much then, because they're generally hard to find around here; we did catch some in the nuclear plant discharge canal during the winter, but not enough to begin to last the summer. It wasn't until I began stocking up at Pickwick Dam in the spring that I began using frozen skipjack in any great quantities. I've never really tried running a test between the two, but if I did, I really think that over the long run, fresh shad and frozen skipjack would tie for second place. Sure, some days the frozen skippies would work best, but another day, the fresh shad would do better; that's just the 'luck' factor. Over a period of time, though, they would even out. Fresh skipjack has the #1 slot nailed down solid, IMO.

13. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    jerry, i definately agree with fresh skips being the number one bait. the problem with that is i never have any fresh. i've caught very few on the red river were i fish. i travel 100 miles to the columbia lock and dam below monroe to catch skips. it is very seldom that i get a chance to use them fresh. it just seems to me that i've done better on a big chunk of frozen skipjack than fresh shad. just wondering everybody's opinion.

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Since it's difficult for me to get either fresh shad or skipjack locally, I generally use frozen skipjack, and have very good success with it. But back in the eighties, when we lived in Atkins, and I could easily get fresh shad, I did very well with it, too. I like the oil in skippies, but I also like the fresh blood in fresh shad.

15. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    fresh or frozen skips work better on river an shad work better on lake here for me anywaysi would say its because the lake dont have skips an the river has both. river the stripes seem better on shad but cats ( blues ) mush better on skips. myself i like to fish with both but like skips better, an they dont have as bad of a smell as shad, its the same smell but not as strong to me.

16. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    I am a firm believer in fresh bait.It has a much greater blood and scent trail,seems to be a more aggressive hit.

17. 8898dan

8898dan New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I fish the Arkansas River a lot and one night ran 2 trotlines with skipjack and goldfish on every other hook. I caught 7 flatheads on the SKIPJACK! when there were gold fish on either side of it. I have been a firm beleiver in the skippies ever since. Have never caught a flathead on rod and reel with it but plenty of blues and channels. And also, I never have fresh skipjack but still prefer it to shad except for shad guts. This is a tie for me - skipjack and shad gut.