Shad Trawls

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by photocat, Jan 29, 2006.

1. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Has anyone gotten one of these and used it? i want to get one but i don't think my boat's motor (27# trolling on a 10 ft john) can get up to 5 miles an hr to be able to work it properly... does anyone have a suggestion on how large my motor should be to be able to get it up to 5 mph?

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Trolling motor won't do it, and even with the biggest outboard your boat is rated for probably won't do it either. With a small jon and a trolling motor you should be able to get up in the shallows with a castnet.

3. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    yeah i have a cast net and was already planning on doing that, i was just looking on the Cat Conn. site and wanted to explore different options. if it isn't going to work it isn't going to work... not worth spending the money on it for something that won't work if i don't have a big enough boat.

Bam- how big of a boat/motor combo would be the smallest to get the shad trawl to work properly? they say go 5-15 mph... or any other members????

Heck anyone use one w/ any measure of success?

4. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    I have one used it one summer and was not impressed with it, hanging in shed.
    Castnet seems to work better, got lot more bait with castnet.
    I may not know the, proper way, to use trowel,