Shad Trawling Net?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Bengalfan79, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Bengalfan79

Bengalfan79 New Member

State:
    Alexandria, KY(CincyArea)
    Anyone ever tried shad trawling net? They sell 2 different models at www.catfishconnection.com but before I buy I would like to know if they work. The models that the sell are made to be pulled about 35 feet behind a boat at 5-15 mph in circles. They are shaped kind of like a sock that is about 36" long and that has an open end. The net itself is 3/8" mesh comparable to most cast nets. Thanks and good luck to everyone.

2. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Somebody just told me about these things Saturday. Looks like they would work well when the shad are hard to find.

3. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Ive used one some, for shad a cast net works better. if shad are scattered,
    it might pick you, up one every so often, On Asian, I don't know veridic, still out.
    And their might be some, tricks to using one, that makes them work better,
    I hung mine up, never thought I would use anymore , mice put some holes in it. patched it and going to try it on Asian carp got my doubts, large dip net, looks better.
    Jim

4. azfshn23

azfshn23 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    12ft preferablly. know what i mean

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got one that's 3' in diameter and 4' deep. I haven't used it much, because so far, I haven't caught a single shad in it. I tried it in a large cove where the shad were jumping ahead of the boat, so I expected better results. Because of the difficulty of getting fresh shad, and poor results using frozen shad, I've pretty much switched over to skipjack.