Shad trawl

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by gearhead, Feb 6, 2007.

1. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    Has anyone ever used one of these behind their boat to catch shad and does work ,

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    This has been discussed a few times before, so here goes again. I have used one two times with limited success, caught some the first time, 0 the second time. Not much of a survey but all I have. Will do some more surveying this summer and report how it goes.

3. bsu_catfisher

bsu_catfisher New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    I have never heard of one. Could someone give me some information on it?

4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Better make sure it's a legal means of taking bait in your state before you get too carried away...

5. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    I'll sale you mine.

6. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Best advise I can offer is to get an 8 foot Betts net---cheapest one, and learn to throw it. You will never want for bait again.:lol:

7. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    ebay has a 9 ft cast net for 14.95 plus shipping

8. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    That's diameter, not radius...

9. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Keep your $30. I got one for half price and tried it for 2 straight hours everyway I cold think of and just couldnt figure it out.The directions said go 15 mph but the thing would come completely out of the water when I went that fast.I could literally see the shad swim around the thing.Its way to much trouble to fool with to me.7 to 8 ft thrownet is the best way.Unless you can make shad bite sabika rigs which I cant do but some striper fisherman say that they can.

10. catmando2

catmando2 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I agree, Save your money and get a cast net and learn to use it. The drag nets are more trouble then they are worth to me

11. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    :smile2: Like Buck said.I have one sitting in garage if anyone wants on real cheap- has had little use.

12. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    I have one. I have used it. Never could make it work. Pulled it and pulled it, in circles, zig zag, slow, fast, in the river, in the lake, caught a hand full of shad. It hangs in the barn where it will stay. Catches Mud dubber's nest real good.
    Good fishing
    Joe