Shad Trawl

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by chrisblue, Sep 25, 2006.

1. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Anybody ever used a shad trawl before? If so does it work.

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    dont guess i have , lol what is a shad trawl?

3. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    It appears to be a funnle shaped net that you pull behind the boat.

4. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Chris where might i find one of these, i know a shallow muddy lake where it may be the ticket to catch large gizzards because nets arent allowed there. dont know if that would be legal or not. but i would try it and see. it just couldnt run no more than 10 ft deep at the most though.

5. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Its in the catfish connection catalog or website.

6. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
  7. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I bought my Dad one out of Catfish Connection. He tried it once with no success but I wasn't there to instruct him. I think he went too fast. I'm trying to get him to start using shad instead of liver and shrimp.

8. 1 cattin dude

1 cattin dude New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    I bought one and have only used it one time. We only caught small shad. I'm sure the problem was location. Other folks i have talked to say they work great. Check your local laws though, they're illegal in some states.

9. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks for the info.

10. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I have one and I can't claim great success using it. I have tried it both night and day. I have caught some shad with it but it is not worth the expense, (in my opinion).

11. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Yeah I'm kinda indecisive about whether its gonna work or not but it was only 30 bucks.I figure I will probably get it hung right off the bat and lose it.How far behind the boat do you normally let it out?

12. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    35 to 50 feet. You are supposed to run the boat in big circles. You want to use it in deeper, snag free water.Some guys around here do have good luck with them, so maybe it is just me.

13. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    I have had mine (from catfish connection) for 5 or 6 years. Tried it few times back then w/no luck.
    I didnt give it enough effort then I know. Just put back in boat few days ago to give anyother try this fall.

Think its one of those things that once figured out might be well worth it.

Could be heck of a learning experience to see what it catches and verifying whats on sonar is what I hope to accomplish (beside bait).

Chris,
    You using throw net now?

14. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i am glad i read this post i got one in july and it has been sitting in shed ever since i think i will take it out with me tonight and give it a try

15. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Yeah I use 7 and 8 foot throw nets and after you throw em 50 to 60 times your to tired to fish so I'm lookin for a lazier way to get bait.Sometimes I can get all the bait I need in just 5 to 10 throws but we all know its not like that everytime.

16. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Let us know what happens mine is not gonna get here in time for me to use it this weekend.

17. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Cool. Bought a vacume sealer for winter bait case I need it.
    Worked hard this year to improve cast net how and where catching bait thanks to BOC, so hope to not need that sealed stuff. We'll see.
    Still figure hoop as anyother backup-cant have too many.:cool2:

18. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    used mine on fri. night ( 9-29 i think) caught alot of little ones 1 to 3 inches nothing big i pulled it about 25 to 30 foot behind boat at about 1/4 throttlethrew cast net and caught several larger shad 9 to 10 inches long do not know why i dould not get them in the trawl

19. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Ive never heard of one ontil this thread

20. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks for the report I think its probably only be good for smaller ones which thats what Ilike to use in the winter time anyway.