Shad trawl

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by roundhill, Jun 27, 2006.

1. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    do they work has anyone tried them any info whould be helpful thanks

2. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i guess anything would work if you tried hard enough lol. i've personally never heard of them but it seems like they would work

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I was considdering trying it, when Kittycatcher told me they had bought one a few years back, tried it once and haven't used it since. I think it was him, maybe it was Whistler. Either way, I would take either of thems advice. After hearing that, I think I'll pass.

4. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    I had one, tried it one summer, didnt work that good for me, caught a few ,
    but I think your better off with cast net,
    Their may be a nack to using one though. When the shad are real thick in late summer, I can see where they would work, but on,the other hand one cast with a cast net, and youve got a lot of bait. I personaly would say castnet over the trawl.
    Hope this helps
    Jim

5. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    thanks jim i just sean one and thout this could be easy if it worked very well ill just stick with the net.

6. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    I got one before I learned how to throw the cast net...never worked that well for me. I would stay with the cast net like eveyone has said.

7. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    I got one you can get cheap but it will need a lot of repair. I just got it this year after checking with every game warden I could talk to. I even talked to the NCWRC and couldn't get an answer if it was legal in N.C. Was told in a round about way to go ahead as there was nothing on in in our regs. Not to using it. Worked fine around the dam in deep water, just didn't catch any shad or anything else. Tried all kind of diffrent boat speeds. Pulled my boat hard as if I was dragging two anchors. Someone told me to try the river channel. If you have ever been to Jordan I was in what we called the s'es. The first run through got a sucker of some kind and a few crappie. Tried it again slower. That's when I caught the big one ! Some kinda stump, tree or rock. Whatever it won't about to budge ! Didn't have any scuba gear with me and I won't about to free dive. After pulling and going round and aroud I was about to give up, but I hated to leave that thing there as a navigation hazard. Kown some one would have gotten it into there prop, probably me. Another guy in a boat stopped and wanted to know what was going on. He hooked to it with me and it finally gave way. The rope hoop and very little net. The hoop looked like a figure 8 . I won't be buying another. Will stick to the cast net. The easier, softer way never works for me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!