shad trawl net on catfish connection

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by iceman, Nov 8, 2007.

1. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    Hey guys,
    looking to catch some baitfish in santee. anyone know anything about the shad trawl net that catfish connection sells? is it legal? is it worth having? any info would be greatly appreciated.

GARY:big_smile:

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've had a shad trawl for several years. I have yet to catch the first shad in it. It creates so much drag that you can't pull it very fast; and I was afraid to try it at full throttle for fear of breaking the ropes on it. Of course, with that much drag, there's no way, short of an electric winch, of pulling in the net while you're still pulling it. If you're going to be trying to get shad in an area where you could pull a trawl, my advice is to invest in an 8'-10' cast net with extra lead. Be sure to stay away from the rocks with it. I'd be afraid to use anything bigger than the 5' cast net I use around rocks.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I haven't used one, Gary, but would tend to agree with JT. Not certain about the legality in SC, either. I think a cast net would be better around here anyway.

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I'm with JT on this one.
    I got one about 10 years ago thinking it might be the solution to the eternal bait challenge. I too have never caught a single shad in it. I even went as far as weighting the hoop on one side and tying a 4 foot rope on the opposite side with a float on it to suspend the net mid-water. Still not a shad. There may be conditions where it might work but as mentioned in those circumstances one good throw with a cast net would get you more than enough bait...W

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I believe with the trawl net you have to find a school of shad flipping on the surface. You put the net out and then steer an arc so the net goes through the middle of the school. You may get a gazillion and one shad, but by the time you get it to the boat you may only have a dozen. They are only good in deep, open water. A 3' diameter net is legal in Oklahoma, but I have no idea about other states.

6. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    I have one and have caught a few shad in it, mine stays at the house.
    I never got it to work that good. a cast net is a better choice for me. tried several different ways with it. not too practical.
    Jim

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I think mine is 1/2" mesh; larger mesh would definitely make it easier to pull, but the smaller fish would escape through the mesh.

8. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Dont waste your money.Its pretty much worthless.

9. Beaufort

Beaufort New Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    no good never got any bait with mine

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you're into drift fishing, it does make a pretty good drift sock/sea anchor. But don't buy it just for that; you can buy a real drift sock for about the same amount of money....or spend more to get a fancy one.

11. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    no bait with mine either dont waste your money

12. enfausen

enfausen New Member

State:
    Indiana (Rising Sun)
    I wouln't waste my money on one. I have found that a good cast net will catch alot more bait alot quicker.

13. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Threw mine away this spring - caught a lot of grass and not a single bait fish

14. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    Guys,
    Ya'll always come thru for me. I thank all of you for your posts as this has kept me from buying something i can't get any use out of. this site i know has made me a better catfisherman and my hat is off to you that made it possible. Thanks for everything and HAVE A GREAT DAY!

GARY