Shad Trap

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by agcat, Feb 9, 2006.

1. agcat

agcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Has anyone ever heard of or built a shad trap?

2. flatcatnightmare

flatcatnightmare New Member

State:
    south east Indiana
    not me , the only shad trap I know is the lake down the road , there trapped in there till I get out my castnet,lol

3. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Never seen a shad trap - nor - heard of one either. Wonder what you would use as bait??

4. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i have honestly never heard of a shad trap, i just throw a cast net. And the only bait i can think of would to be put a big moss covered rock in the trap

5. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    The B.O.C library has how to articles on making bait traps. I do not know if a shad trap is amoung them!!

6. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    thanks Lawrence im going to check that out

7. rasimmons

rasimmons Guest

a oversized minnow trap might work but i have never heard of a shad trap

8. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I throw out bait for the bluegills around our dock for my grandson and the shad find it and swirl around the dock until it's gone. I use commercial catfish food, cracked corn and milo mixed together. I would think that some of that in a nylon ball in the middle of an over sized trap might bring in both shad and bluegills.

9. etipriga

etipriga New Member

State:
    TX
    A buddy of mine has a lake lot on Limestone and he said that he used to catch shad in a minnow or perch trap baited w/ bread, but i think to catch them in a trap like that there needs to be ALOT of shad in the lake. He also told me that whenever there was a big storm the shad would be piled up on the bank, so you know there's plenty of shad it their.

10. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    I know a buddy of mine over in MO. has a minnow trap he uses in a creek to catch minnows. He uses saltine crackers as a bait. every once in awhile a small shad will get in the trap. maybe try this with a large minnow trap and some crackers?

11. teamclose

teamclose Guest

there is the net type thing you can drag behind a boat...but a trap, i dont know?

12. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Teamclose, do you have a link to a pic of one? Or know where someone could buy one?

13. Ronnie Reeves

Ronnie Reeves New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    MEMPHIS NET AND TWINE has them.

14. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Catfish Connection sells them. they are called "shad trawls".

15. aaronm283

aaronm283 New Member

State:
    missouri
    never herd of traping shad

16. Fred Rankin

Fred Rankin New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisiana
    Has anyone froze shad for future use as bait? If so, how did you do it?

I tried this one time and had to throw out everything in the freezer and clean it with bleach. There is a shallow lake near my home. It was hot and the shad were on the surface gasping for air. By the time we go the dip nets and buckets ready, most of the shad had died. The hadn't been dead for long, so we diped up a 5 gallon bucket full. Put them in zip lock bags and put them in the freezer. DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME - THE WIFE DIDN'T LIKE THE SMELL!!!

17. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    American Shad are legaly caught in Georgia with a gill net during the season on certain days of the week with a comercial license.The remains of a OLD fish trap can be found in the Savannah River a couple of miles downstream of the hwy.119 bridge on the Georgia side.It was a board fence type,made of cypress and fatlighter boards.It covered several acres and had hundreds of feet of fencing.The fencing design kept funneling the fish,untill they ended up in a small area that could be closed off and the fish netted out.The trap caught shad,bream and all fish up to the size of a 12 foot Sturgen.All were sold in the area.They were peddled every Saterday out of a wagon.45 years ago there were still many people around that remembered the 12 foot Sturgen and other fish being sold out of the back of a two horse wagon in Springfield Ga.This is the only trapping of shad that I have ever known of.peewee-williams