Shad Trap - Possible?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by beeheck, Jun 5, 2006.

1. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    We feed the bluegills around our dock to keep our grandson happy and I notice occasionally there are a lot of shad swimming around our dock when we feed these bluegills. I have tried net throwing but on a dock with all the supports and stuff it is almost impossible to throw a net and with the shad on or near the surface they see the motion and scatter under the dock before the net leaves my hand. Is it possible to trap shad in a trap like "Sam's Bluegill Trap" shown in the library? If it is possible what would I use as bait? Do shad eat stuff like worms or commercial catfish food when it breaks down in the water? I have it in my mind they only eat plankton. If they do only eat plankton what about a few of the 8" green glow sticks hanging in the middle of the trap, they should attract plankton I think, like the green fish attracting lights you can buy but only they would be less bright. Any ideas, thoughts, laughter or ridicule would be appreciated. :tounge_out:

2. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I dont know about a trap. I dont think you would get as many as one good scoop with a net. Around here, I have watched the commercial guys net shad at night. They are in realtive small boats all lit up with round nets on poles about 20 feet long. They just scoop them up. I have a regular bait net that I can add extensions to the handels. I find shad close to shore near pumps, and concrete gates. Often time the stripers run them close to shore within range. As for throw nets, we can't use them in fresh water in Calif.

3. Yes, you can net these shad. You need a drop net (pg 20 of the current Catfish Connection catalog). these are in common use on the river here. You need to rig up a way to raise and lower the net. Either a boom off the pier with a pulley or a long lever. In practice you lower the net into the water and install a light above the net to draw in the fish. When the shad come in and are circling around the light you raise the net.
    The ones in the CC catalog are small one intended for use from a boat. I believe Memphis Net and Twine has larger ones intened for use like I describe. I have also seen several rigged up designs here on the river. Cast nets have been modified with the addition of a pvc frame. Others have made up baskets from hardware cloth and the most memorable was an old sattelite dish.
    I wish I had a way to post photos as these drop nets are common here and there are some interesting rigged up ones around here.

4. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I have an umbrella net that you are supposed to put in the water, do whatever to bring the fish in and then raise the umbrella net and catch the fish. I could do that...... but I would really like to trap them. I'm looking for more of a lazy man's way of getting them, bait trap, set our trap, pick up trap, empty trap, repeat. lol

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Don't know if you're talking about using a trap in Missouri or Iowa, but Missouri law only allows for a minnow trap with a 1.5" maximum opening. You won't catch many shad in a trap like that.

If you're having trouble finding shad in LOZ, you're just not looking in the right places, as they're quite plentiful.