Shad today

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by fishingbuddy4, Mar 24, 2007.

1. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Went up to lexington fishing today ,caught several little ones ,but look at the shad we got up the creek ,we caught 8 of this size

Attached Files:

2. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    Really big shad. Those are almost big enough to eat.

3. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    We've been getting them that size as well. the big shad seem to be easier to come by in the spring

4. JACKSON

JACKSON New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Nice shad, That looks like fresh catfish bait to me.

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    the gut pocket of those big ones makes great bait this time of year too.

6. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Great lookin bait, Those are the best size ones right there

7. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    This spring I've been catching quite a few shad that size...I'd say that 50% of the shad I caught yesterday were of that size!

8. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    well ill be if that picture didnt put a big grin on my face. I am gonna go get my first cast net tonight,and will be practicing in the back yard for a while. when you use a gut pocket where is the best place to hook it? through the heart?

9. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I wonder if we shouldn't be practicing "selective harvest" on those shad -- seems to me the big ones are the brood stock, probably up in the backwater streams to spawn... With all the competition from those damned asian carp, the shad need every advantage we can give them.

Of course, I didn't think about this until I got home tonight with about a dozen of those big monsters in my bait tank... :roll_eyes:

10. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    only caught 12 or so ,should still be plenty to spawn besides look what it caught ,go to the 62 lber post

11. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    I new where giant shad were all winter at clinton, but now that the water has warmed up I cant find many big ones. No problem finding 3 to 4 inch ones. What is the regulation in Missouri on shad size. Here in Kansas we are supposed to release them if they are over 12 inches.

12. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    It's the same in Missouri - anything over 12" must be released immediately, except for the various carp species which can be any length.

13. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    Don't get me wrong, there have been alot of shad over 12". end up on my hook it just makes me nervous when I have them. I tend to cut them in pieces as quickly as I can. That is the one conservation law that I have broken. I've seen dozens of other catters do it too.

14. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    But i've only done it when I could'nt get anything else for bait. I know that does'nt make it right. I know, I need to rethink what I'm doing.

15. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    i didnt know that thank for the info