Shad tips - Cast Net tips that work for you?

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by Ohio_River_Rat, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    I have used shad a few times and it has always produced for me but its really hard for me to get shad. I have a cast net and can throw it just fine but when ill get on the docks and i can see them jumping and ill throw directly where i see one jump and usually come up empty. Should i pull the cord quickly after goes in the water or wait a good bit. I've tried it all but w/no success. I dont have a boat so i can only throw from shore. Any tips on getting shad? And where are some good places near by to get shad? I live near charlestown(between jeffersonville and madison in clark county above louisville).

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    when the river is flooded is a great time to stock up on shad if you intend on freezing them. shad will congregate in slack water like eddys or the mouths of small creeks. its hard for me to get shad otherwise. when the river is up i go load up on the shad. spillways below reservoirs are also very good too.

3. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i always get my shad a strip pit that is a river run off. for some reason theres a ton of shad in that pond.
    try and find somewhere where there is a run off from the river. and yes i wait a couple of seconds before i pull the cord of my throw net.

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    If you dont have snags where your throwing let your net go to the bottom before you pull on it.

5. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    Your problem is that you are not letting your net hit the bottom or your rope is to short. I carry 20ft of nylon rope with me for when im in deeper water. IMO if i can't reach the bottom then i wont have much luck.

6. Jeremy Leach

Jeremy Leach New Member

State:
    Madison In
    I would have to agree with some of the other guys that have already posted. Let the net sink all the way to the bottom. A lot of people make the mistake of throwing and the pull immidiatley. We do the best in big creeks or little rivers feeding the Ohio. Let me know if you want to stock up on shad sometime and I will take you out on the boat with me and you can feel your freezer up.

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I agree with james and spoonfish. If you dont have snags DIFFENTLY let it go to the bottom.....oh yeah and the most important part is.....make sure the net opens up before it hits the water.....LOL....:) But that's the hard part though.

8. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    i carry two diffrent cast nets with me one $14.00 dollar one that i use at the spillway ive lost a couple there in the big rocks and the other i think i paid 30 bucks for little nicer and bigger which i use when im getting bait in a area that i know doesnt have snags. watch out for those crappie sets and xmas trees ripe a good net into shreads

9. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    Thanks alot that helps me out a bunch. This is the best place ever for info. Jeremy ill have to take you up on that offer but it might be a little while before i can though
    Thanks alot guys