Shad Tank in a boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by foodsaver, Mar 28, 2006.

1. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    anyone out there built their own shad tank? I am looking for plans to build one. I am looking for something with filtration to keep the shad from dying off. I would also appreciate any information on where I can buy one reasonably. I can't seem to find them that are insulated and filtered for under 300 bucks.

Thanks guys. This is by far and away the best fishing forum on the net!

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL

3. rookie_cater

rookie_cater New Member

State:
    Milford,Ohio
    One of the guys I used to work with made a shad tank oout of one of those big round orange coolers you can get from Graingers. I'm talking about those coolers that you see on the back of work trucks. He bought the cooler and the bought a fish tank filter from someplace (Walmart maybe) and installed it where he took out the drink spout. I don't work with him anymore or I would try to get a picture for you. Hope that helps.

4. Rivercat2

Rivercat2 New Member

State:
    Morton,Illinois
    I built a 30gal. shad tank it is not insulated but I have had no promblems. I bought a round plastic sewage Basin for $40.00 at the farm store here in town it had a 4in. hole in the side but I made a rubber plug for it and put silacone around the plug then made lid out of ply wood and put a airator on. I have keep shad up to 3 days with not one death. I will try to put up some pictures.

5. jeffrobodeen

jeffrobodeen New Member

State:
    West Virginia
  6. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have seen old poly drums used as well as large coolers, horse tanks, etc. A small fountain pump will work great and the plumbing for it can be found at most building sites. Lots of scrap water line in short pieces.

7. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks man I would love to see some pictures! Do you have a filtration system?

8. Rivercat2

Rivercat2 New Member

State:
    Morton,Illinois
    No there is no filter, the thing is there is a screen over the water intake of the airator and it collects about all the scales and all the other junk in the water and all you do is unscrew it and rinse it off when it get full of junk. I have keep up to 70 4-5in. shad at on time and not one death. I will try to get those pictures up in the next couple of days.

9. Rivercat2

Rivercat2 New Member

State:
    Morton,Illinois
    The first picture is the 4 inch hole in the side which I pluged with a rubber plug I made and glued it in place and put duct tape on it while the glued dried and it did'nt leak so just left it on there. sorry the pictures were so bad.

10. Rivercat2

Rivercat2 New Member

State:
    Morton,Illinois
    Sorry the picture did not upload on the last post.

Attached Files: