Shad stocked in the conowago creek.

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by Cattitude, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Cattitude

Cattitude New Member

State:
    Waynesboro Pa.
    I was just looking at the pa fish and boat commison site and saw that over the last 10 years they have put 300K shad in the conowago creek. Anybody know anything about this. Has anyone tried to fish for them to use for bait. Just wondering if they took or not.

2. I think tehy are catch and release only, I'm not sure.:confused2:

3. Cattitude

Cattitude New Member

State:
    Waynesboro Pa.
    Thats what I was trying to figure out there are types that are catch and release cause the are protected but there are others that are not. Not sure if I could tell the differnce. I havent done much fishing for them at all. Just once when they ran up the delaware.

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

Hickory shad are considered endangered and cannot be kept and used as bait in the Delaware and Susquehanna Rivers and it's tributaries:sad2:.

The have been endangered since the striped bass have made their comeback.

5. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    There is a pretty healthy load of shad above the dam. At times in certain places you can see them just bubbling(don't know another word for it) all over. Have seen some gizzard shad in there over 10 to 12", probably bigger. I don't get over there ofton as I'd like to. Pretty neat fishery all together, really like that stretch the more I explore it, seems to have just about anything for the angler.