shad spawn

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by fishingbuddy4, Apr 16, 2009.

1. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    If you guys that fish up on truman lake every day ,If you could post the day you see the shad flopping out of the water on the pei gravel banks ,I will come down after work and catch a few hundered and vacume seal them for the gathering.:wink:

2. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Robert, their is a time when they come to Caplinger dam, on sac. and you can dip the hickorys with a dip net I'll keep my ear to the ground,:wink: and let you know. seems, like they spawn at the end of crappie spawning.
    Jim

3. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
  4. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Took me awhile to find it on the map. I might have to go try and get me some of them shad come time. Thanks for the tip Jim. :wink:

5. Quackheadjh

Quackheadjh New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dont rule out Smithville or Bluesprings Lake, when they spawn on those twp lakes you can throw a net at the boat ramp and catch all you want.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Hey Robert - In your quest for a "few hundred," be sure to stop when you get to 150 shad, as that's the daily limit... :wink:

I really wouldn't expect shad to be hard to find at the May gathering, and fresh shad works *sooo* much better than frozen...

They should be easy to find late evening or early morning in the shallow coves and around the state park marina boat docks.

7. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    I meant that i would go 3 nights in a row :wink::wink:

8. big cat matt

big cat matt Member

State:
    mo,OSAGE ARM TRUMAN
    I went yesterday and we caught 9 blues all around 5lbs. on fresh shad. In the evening you can really see them flippin in the shallow coves and flats.We didnt see hardly flips in the morning, and catchin shad was a little tough.We had good luck driftn slow and usin the fish finder to see them.Then we just toss a big net off the back of the boat.