Shad scales

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by blindfly69, Jul 9, 2006.

1. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I've always wonder why shad shed scales like my dog sheds fur??? every time i use my cast net im pullin shad scales off of my hands for hours........im not by any means complaining, dont get me wrong but as soon as you touch one its scale shedding time lol

2. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I love the way the handles on my rods look. It's like I've sprayed 'em with some snazzy metallic paint, except it's perfectly natural shad scales.

3. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    lol i just got out my tackle box and scraped off scales from my last outing

4. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    lol maybe is some sorta defence or something

5. suddawg

suddawg New Member

When Shad are caught they naturally lose their scales because of the stress. They are probably the hardest baitfish to keep alive after you've caught them. Adding some non-iodized salt to the bait bucket/tank will prevent significant scale loss. Of course that's just one thing you need to do to keep them suckers alive.

SudDawg

6. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    lol if i was a shad i would be stressed out too lol everything it tryin to eat them all the time. from bass to catfish to gar to sauger to walleye lol......they even look worried

7. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Shad have a lot of defense mchanisms. Shedding scales, vomiting, oil secretion...

None of it really works though. The only defense they really have that works is that they reproduce faster than rats!!:big_smile:

I have seen a couple of times where shedding scales did help to a certain extent when a bigger fish got a hold of one, but not too often.

8. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Off Topic Sorry :(..Annual shad kill at paint creek im not sure if other lakes have it but some kills are so bad the stinch keeps you off the lake....What causes that? water temp?

9. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Probably either water temp or low oxygen. It may not be the answer because I haven't been at a lake yet that had an annual shad kill.

10. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Yeah it's pretty bad cause it's just starting to get warmer and the sun bakes in the smell. So you get the idea

11. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    my rods look like a dance hall ball all shiny and stuff from years of using them.. i think it adds character

12. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    If you are trying to keep them alive heres a few things we do. I'm luck to have a friend that has stocked them in a large farm pond. They are multiplying like rats and he will let me get some anytime I want. Usually I go very late in the evening and net some of all sizes, up to almost a foot long. I use two five gallon buckets when I'm netting. In one I use fresh clean water with about a cup of pickling salt and a cup of rock salt. I keep frozen bottles of water to keep all my water cool. Second bucket just salt and clean water. From the net into the first bucket. After picking out about a dozen of the size I want I transer them to second bucket with bait net, never use hands until the last time you handle them before the hook. From the second bucket I transfer them into the bait. The pickling salt will make the puke their guts out and the rock salt hardens their scales. In my bait tank ( 30 gallon ) I only keep about 25-30 large shade and not over 50 small . I try to keep adding the frozen bottles and keep the temp under 80 degrees. This is a lot of trouble but it takes a lot of work and expense to keep shad alive. I troll a lot for something besides cats and I have to have live bait to catch them. Fishing for cats they work better if you can keep them as alive. I love to see that fresh blood, its got to start a sent trail. Now after all that I hope my health will get back to where I can start back to some more fishing.Hope this helps someone. Good luck to all ! Check your knots often !

13. wykydjuggalo

wykydjuggalo New Member

State:
    Gadsden,Alabama
    its really bad when you wake up the next day after showering and still find scales on your hands

14. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    I couldn't agree more!! I love the look, everyone asks why I don't clean them off, but I like 'em...adds character!!

15. OklahomaFever

OklahomaFever New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    shad are a mess but they free bait...

16. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    i don't know why they fly off like that, but they sure do come off easily. i don't mind seeing them on my rod handles either.

17. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    My wife just love to find shad scales on the steering wheel of the Blazer, on her way to Church.:sad2: