Shad sandwich.

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by kat in the hat, May 13, 2007.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have read a couple of articles by tourament fishermen who use a shad sandwich for bait, and claim it to be the best way to fish with shad. Cut the fillets off of both sides of the shad. 1 variation is to place a fillet on the hook, followed by the gizard, and some guts, then the other fillet. Another variation is to roll the guts up in a fillet like a burrito, then place that on the hook.

Question 1: Anybody ever heard of this, or employ either of these two
    tecniques?
    Question 2: If so, how is this any better than just useing the gut pocket?

2. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That is news to me man, but that burrito technique would probably work just fine.

3. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I read about that in a mag a while back, maybe In-Fisherman? I think it was an article on Blue cats, But I forgot about it until you brought it up. May have to try it soon.

4. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Too much work for me. i just cut the tail off and let her rip.

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Sandwiches, burritos....sounds like lunch time!
    Any technique that exposes more of the flesh will get the scent out quicker but the trade off is that the scent / blood will wash out that much sooner so re-baiting more often is necessary.
    My version of this is to fillet the shad but leave the fillets attached at the head end and hook the shad through the nose. Everything is exposed but still in one piece...W

6. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    That IS a good idea.

7. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    Yes...that was on the Infisherman article about drifting for Blues.I really dont see a reason why it wouldnt work as your got 3 hooks with 3 baits on it.It it doesnt attract fish...then i dont think anything will:big_smile:

8. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    I'm possitive it does work, but I was wondering why they think that it works any better than just chopping off the head and tail, and putting the gut pocket on the hook like what I already do. Gonna have to give it a try and see if it really is any better I guess.

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have heard of the sandwich thing, but never tried it. i had an idea to put gizzards and guts in a blender, thencut up shad and put it in the bag a few days before the trip. in all honesty i will probably just use gizzards and cut bait like always, but it doesn't hurt to dream, :lol:

10. bwillaub

bwillaub New Member

State:
    missouri
    I prefer being a blonde, brunette, or redhead sandwich myself.:roll_eyes: