shad run

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by craddock1, Apr 5, 2008.

1. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I was at melton hill dam today checking on the skipjack run. There wern't any skippies but the shad were plentiful against the rocks. The big strippers were there I watched a 9 year old catch 2 in the 30 pound range. Course as soon as they turned the water off it all stopped.

2. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    i'd rather have a tooth pulled than see them drop the water. has anyone ever tore the fish up after they dropped the water? not in my lifetime.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a good day. I bet that kid was about to pee his pants. That's a great story. Sorry it did not work out for you.

4. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The shad are running hard at old hickory but the skips are far and few between since they are pumping about 69,000cubic feet right now good flow is 15,000 so its gonna take a while for thing to calm down.

5. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    Went to loudon tail waters today looking for skip-jack. They were not there so I went to Telico creek to check out the bream. Caught about 50 bream and several small small-mouth and one 17 inch small-,mouth that was at least 3 inches thick. Really heavy fish. Wouldn't have took many of those to make a mess.
    Saw several people putting the really small small-mouth in their live well.
    I tried some bream drifting from the dam but no results.
    Shad were not at the dam either.

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Shad are great cat bait,

7. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    I went below Chic dam Saturday and tied into a few skips, but only landed one. The skips were there, but the bite was a little sluggish. Then spent the day Sunday on Nickajack and got a couple of good hits on 4 inch shad. I was fishing around the old dam and the hits came in 20 to 30 feet range.