Shad run

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by snooker_hooker, Feb 6, 2007.

1. snooker_hooker

snooker_hooker New Member

State:
    sc
    the shad run is on now. i am going soon to stock up on bait. dont eat those things but the cats do. just wanted to let you all know. just below the dam on the tailrace.

2. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks for the heads up nick I love to get down there and catch them on an ultralite. Those big roe shad will jump just like a bass sometimes. I dont eat them either but your right good for bait. Also a good time to catch some big blues in the tailrace.

3. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    how do you catch them??

4. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Small green jig with the curly tail.

5. JamisonM

JamisonM New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm glade the season's started. Now I can try something else other than mullet. I've heard good stuff about shad too.

6. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    Rivercat are the shad up by the dam in the tailrace side or the lake side in front of the lock? Do you cast the jigs like fiching for crappie or do you jig them off the bottom with a sijki rig? Never tried much but am going this weekend I need the bait!! since anglers closed :sad2:

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Gomer, the American and Hickory shad and blueback herring come upriver from the ocean to spawn. They are blocked by the dams and hang up there. Some are passed into the lakes through the operation of the lock at the Moncks Corner dam, and the fish lift at St. Stephen on the santee river. They can be caught just below the dams, but be prepared for often crowded conditions and a few idiots thrown in. I love to catch them, but I don't go on weekends. You need to be there at moncks corner just as early as you can, head upriver to the dam, anchor up near the right shoreline (better) and cast out and upstream, letting the jigs settle as you slowly work them in. Just watch what others are doing and see what works for you.
    There are surely some up there right now, mostly bucks (males), but the heavy run won't start until sometime in March, generally, when the roes (females) arrive.

8. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i caught a couple behind wateree dam bout 2 weeks ago, thought it was awful early but i suppose it was due to the loads of water they have let off recently because alot of stripers have been caught there and they dont show up good till around march or april.

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Tommy is right you need to get there super early and not on the weekend if you can help it. Get down the right side at the do not cross marker and tie up to the bank and throw towards the dam on a slow retrieve. There is a small ditch that runs that side and they work up n down it. This time of year location is important cause like Tommy said it will be a few more weeks before the big run. I have been the second boat in line before not even getting a bite and the man in front of me tearing them up. People are nuts down there they will pull right on top of you if u are catching fish.

10. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I love the shad run and make a few trips up there every spring.

One comment (or maybe 2 or 3 or ...):

If you are tied up right at the sanctuary line (in front of the the sign), DO NOT cast towards the dam. If you cast into the sanctuary, the DNR Law Enforcement Officers can give you a ticket. I have even heard stories of them sneaking up on the bank and catching people. They also do a lot of safety equipment checks up there this time of year, so make sure you have your preservers, whistle, and license in order.

Gear is super easy: 1/8 ounce jig head and 2 inch chartreuse curly tail grub.

Cast it out and reel as slow as you can stand it.

The crowds get pretty thick, but most people are pretty cool and friendly. My advice, if you've never been before, is to anchor out away from the crowds for 15 minutes and watch. There are a few unwritten rules of ettiquette. If you are in a line of people anchored on the bank, then cast straight out, don't cast at an angle and tangle the people on either side of you. When someone leaves from one of the best spots, there is always a shuffle as people move. Ettiquette says that the people nearest the opening get the first shot at moving (and then everybody else moves up like a domino effect). If a full minute goes by and nobody has jumped in, then go for it.

In addition to the top spots on the right hand side, the areas around the bulkheads on the right are good, too as is the whole first maybe 75 yards on the left. Some days one area is better than another. It varies.

DON'T TROLL through the crowds. That's just obnoxious. If you really want to troll, then stay down away from the crowds.

If you anchor off the bank (like in a second line out from all of the boats tied to the bank), then make sure you are at least a LONG cast away. If you anchor close in front of me (or most anyone else), you will soon have jigs bouncing off your boad and eventually (if you don't take the hint) they'll start coming in the boat with you.

And speaking of anchoring: this is a great time and place to see what doesn't work! A rock tied to the end of 22 feet of rope will NOT anchor any boat in 20 feet of water in heavy current. Use a real anchor, please, and remember, Scope is not just for bad breath!

11. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi

Boy I'm glad I live up in the mountains! lol No people jams here thats fer sure! Shad are returning to our waterways too so maybe I'll have to tryout all this great advice! Thank you!

12. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    JA, you summed it up as well as I've ever heard. Thanks.

13. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    THANKS GUYS, sunday is the only day I have off. I plan on going up around 4-5 am before daylight and try to get a good anchor spot. :smile2: Thanks for all the info, I'll try to stay out of everyone way till I figure out how this is done. :confused2: It shouldn't take long if it is like you said. Do the shad stay up by the dam all the time or do they just come up just during daylight?

clicker going off gota go!!

14. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Steve, there's a rule that you can't go past the railroad trestle, which is just below the fishing area, before dawn, so don't get too hasty. :sad2: There are signs at the railroad, or at least as far as I know that's still the case. You can launch the boat and be anywhere else on the tailrace, just can't go beyond the railroad.
    The shad do stay up there all the time, which is why they prohibit night fishing, I guess. This restriction has been in force over there since long before 9-11, and there have been arrests for people fishing up there at night. I've been up there as early as I could barely see, but the fish seem to bite better right after sunrise. Good luck, and let us know how you do.

15. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I think the "no night fishing above the RR bridge" is at least partly a safety issue. It would be a little dangerous to be anchored up there in the dark and have them turn the water on without you knowing.